PDA

View Full Version : Cufflinks loose.

bruggen
21-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Another problem solver, I have made some corporate cufflinks for a couple of customers and have noticed that the cufflink bar becomes very loose after soldering to the cufflink itself, I suspect that the heat used to solder the pieces has affected the internal spring mechanism. Is there any way of tightening up the whole swivel or is it a case of removing the fitting and trying again?32863287

mizgeorge
21-12-2011, 04:38 PM
I think I would have taken the easy route and just used chain to join the two halves.

But that may be because I prefer linked to t bar cufflinks to start with!

bruggen
21-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Me too, just has more style IMHO but the client wanted Swivel fittings, I just don't know if I can tighten them up, the fittings are the Cooksons assembled NVU101

Goldsmith
21-12-2011, 04:46 PM
When I make silver cufflinks I use separate U sections and swivels, then I solder the U sections to the links and then just rivet the swivel sections in place. Which means that the springs in the swivels do not get heated in soldering.
See Cookson's separate cuff link sections here; http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Sterling-Silver-Cuff-Link-S-Arm-Only-Heavy-Weight-prcode-NVU-S10
James

bruggen
21-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I have just bought some of those, if I am unsuccessful in creating a little friction to close the fitting slightly, then I may just bite the bullet and replace the fitting for those that you have suggested.

caroleallen
21-12-2011, 06:09 PM
I use those swivel cufflinks sometimes and I use locking tweezers to hold them, which takes the heat from the mechanism. I've never had a problem with them.

bruggen
21-12-2011, 11:40 PM
Just got them back and a few gently taps later, they are a little tighter, just friction though, not ideal!

bruggen
21-12-2011, 11:51 PM
Thanks Croleallen, that is exactly what I did as I have done many times before too, this is a new batch of fittings though, they now have a cooksons logo on the inner surface, not trying to suggest the fittings at at fault think my heat management is the problem, I struggle some times with recognising the heat colour indication, cherry red for me is marachino, deep crimson, or bright rasberry, never got silver to go that colour. May try some Technoflux next time to see if it makes a diference, will also use the reverse tweezers on the third hand to position the items in proximity. (sorry had a beer)

bruggen
21-12-2011, 11:55 PM
When I make silver cufflinks I use separate U sections and swivels, then I solder the U sections to the links and then just rivet the swivel sections in place. Which means that the springs in the swivels do not get heated in soldering.
See Cookson's separate cuff link sections here; http://www.cooksongold.com/Findings/Sterling-Silver-Cuff-Link-S-Arm-Only-Heavy-Weight-prcode-NVU-S10
James Thought you meant the NVU 103 items, they are much the same I guess, it is those that I have.

caroleallen
22-12-2011, 03:14 PM
I'll have to look out for the new ones. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks Croleallen, that is exactly what I did as I have done many times before too, this is a new batch of fittings though, they now have a cooksons logo on the inner surface, not trying to suggest the fittings at at fault think my heat management is the problem, I struggle some times with recognising the heat colour indication, cherry red for me is marachino, deep crimson, or bright rasberry, never got silver to go that colour. May try some Technoflux next time to see if it makes a diference, will also use the reverse tweezers on the third hand to position the items in proximity. (sorry had a beer)

pearlescence
23-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know where I can get some cufflinks (and tie pins) with a pearl cup instead of a flat plate or whatever

bruggen
23-12-2011, 09:29 AM
You could always cut a disc, dome it then attach to a normal cufflink fitting, only works if you have the necessary tooling though. To buy them ready made, try Priory products, they certainly do the ones with bezel cups, not sure about pearl cups though.

Dennis
23-12-2011, 11:33 AM
'the necessary tooling':
A simple disk cutter, a brass doming block and a set of metal punches would set you up. I'm guessing you have everything else. Dennis.

bruggen
23-12-2011, 04:10 PM
'the necessary tooling':
A simple disk cutter, a brass doming block and a set of metal punches would set you up. I'm guessing you have everything else. Dennis.

Thank you Dennis, I should have been a little more precise and said all that.

bruggen
23-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Stop press, I have been advised by Cooksons to return the remaining cufflink fittings for replacement, it is a just in case scenario, quality management and they want to be sure that I have a quality product, so thanks to them for that. It is also a problem with the end caps come off, this has happened to me many times, again I put it down to my heat management.