PDA

View Full Version : Timed Out.

Dennis
14-12-2011, 06:47 PM
When I visit this forum I usually press 'Today's Posts'. Unfortunately at quiet times like these there might be only two threads to view and sometimes none at all. It then becomes quite tedious to search for other recent posts.

If others agree, I wonder whether a larger number, say the four most recent posts could always be left on view under this heading. Dennis.

ps_bond
14-12-2011, 09:50 PM
If you go to the main forum page, there's a bar to the right with the newest posts & threads (currently displaying the 5 most recent posts). I tend to forget it's there as I invariably use 'New Posts'.

Dennis
14-12-2011, 10:19 PM
Thank you Peter, you're right. I saw, but looked not. Dennis.

Dennis
15-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Thank you Peter, you're right. I saw, but looked not. Dennis.

However in the cold light of day I still think that a newcomer visiting the site would instinctively press New Posts, or Today's Posts, and finding little there, move on. So I would suggest that a minimum of say the four latest posts be left in place under this heading. Dennis.

Patstone
15-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Hi Dennis
I also wondered about this, because hubby works stupid hours, I frequently look on this site at silly times of the morning, normally before the birds get up. I have seen lots of people on the site and wondered if it was a good idea to put something similar to yahoo chat on it, just in the members section not available to the public. I know it was mentioned in the past, but I am not really a chatroom person, but at 4am there isnt much else you can do apart from looking at posts on the computer. Getting out of bed and doing jewellery isnt an option at that time of the morning.
Pat
P.S Or let the members put their contact details, like on gmail, you can tell when one of your contacts is on online and available to chat.

LittleGem
15-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi Dennis
I also wondered about this, because hubby works stupid hours, I frequently look on this site at silly times of the morning, normally before the birds get up. I have seen lots of people on the site and wondered if it was a good idea to put something similar to yahoo chat on it, just in the members section not available to the public. I know it was mentioned in the past, but I am not really a chatroom person, but at 4am there isnt much else you can do apart from looking at posts on the computer. Getting out of bed and doing jewellery isnt an option at that time of the morning.
Pat
P.S Or let the members put their contact details, like on gmail, you can tell when one of your contacts is on online and available to chat.

Hi,

There is a chatroom already in existence if you click "community" in the task bar and then "chat"

Hope this helps, and do let us know what you think

Patstone
15-12-2011, 05:20 PM
wow, I didnt know that, thanks I definately will have a look.
Pat

Patstone
15-12-2011, 05:29 PM
hello again, just looked at the chat section, as I have never done this before I am a bit in the dark about it all, my name was the only one in the right hand columb so that means that there was only me there, and the time said 1.29am although my computer clock is correct. How many people use the chatroom normally, and how do you get people to answer you, presumably they can see if you are online as in Yahoo. (I have only used Yahoo as my cousin in Australia is in contact with me most mornings).

LittleGem
16-12-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi

Yes the right hand column is where you can see which users are online and it is just like a normal instant chat service so whenever you type something-everyone who has effectively "entered" the chat room can see it and respond..... Perhaps I should create a thread on it to try and publicise it again- would that help?

Jess :)

teatowell
16-12-2011, 05:18 PM
I have to admit, I didn't know there was a chatroom, but that is because I haven't really looked!
Does "new posts" show any new comments on any threads since you last logged in? That is what I usually use but just wondered if I was missing out.

Patstone
16-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks Jess, but its not necessary to do that, I sort of know how Yahoo works, as I have a cousin in Oz that I speak to just about every day. I must have been the only one online at that time. For some reason I expected it to be full of names and I just had to highlight and pick one out. Thanks again, Pat

Patstone
16-12-2011, 08:40 PM
I dont know if the time is anything to do with it but it was 20.38pm but there was nobody on line and the clock on the chatroom said 4.41am. Also if you look in the very early morning aka 4.00am, there are normally about 100 plus people looking at the site but only me signed in. :'(

dgrose
19-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I have changed the 'Today's Posts' option to display the last 2 days... I can set it to longer if required.
The 'New Posts' option should display all new posts since you were last logged in.
Regards
Dave

Dennis
19-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Thanks Dave, we'll see what everyone thinks. regards, Dennis.