PDA

View Full Version : New Creative Bronze and Copper Clay

Obsidian Butterfly
05-12-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi everyone

I just wondered if anyone had tried the new Creative bronze or copper clay that Cooksons are now selling, and if so what did you think? I'm interested because I like using PMC but find it so expensive, and I find the Art Clay Copper very dry and hard to work with, so wondered if this would be a good alternative.

Thanks everyone!

MeadMoon
06-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I've used the Copper and found it quite easy to use. Even torch fired it rather than firing up the kiln. But I found that the ends of the petals on this flower seem to have whitish bits that I haven't been able to clean off yet. Any ideas? Re-pickle and polish maybe? The other pieces were fine.

Obsidian Butterfly
06-12-2011, 12:15 PM
That necklace is beautiful!

You could try re-pickling and polishing, but to be honest I am a novice when it comes to pmc and clay, so I'm not sure what would help. I would love to learn more about it, which is why I wanted to try the copper clay, as funds don't stretch to the silver clay at the moment.
I don't have a kiln so everything I have tried has been torch fired. How long did u torch fire the necklace for? I torch fired a piece made from artclay copper but I found it brittle. I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.

Thanks!

art925
06-12-2011, 12:46 PM
That necklace is beautiful!

I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.

Thanks!

Hi I am no expert at all with the clays but i have read that the reason for the kiln firing rather than flame is the copper that oxydises, so prevents the proper firing process. I know the new clay from Cookies says it can be flame fired, but better results are obtained by kiln. Before going ahead with a piece I think you need to experiemnt with the clay itself under different conditions. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along with better advice.

Dennis
06-12-2011, 01:37 PM
If it is only on the surface, Elaine, it looks like the kind of deposit a radial wheel would get off in seconds. Dennis.

MeadMoon
06-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Thank you Dennis. I don't have a radial wheel (or any room to set one up if I had) but will get the polishing pads out again and have another go.

Thank you Laura. I torched the Copper for just over 5 minutes and usually do at least 3 minutes for PMC3. Any larger or delicate PMC3 pieces are done in the kiln and your bird probably falls into that category.

mizgeorge
06-12-2011, 06:37 PM
These are radial discs Elaine - used in a flexshaft, so no space required:

http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Radial-Disc-Kit-6-Each-3-Grades--3-Mandrels-prcode-999-1967

One of my most used tools.

Dennis
06-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Thanks, George, me being slapdash.

MeadMoon
06-12-2011, 11:14 PM
Ah yes, thank you George (and Dennis), I have some of those and will get them out to have another go at the flower.

pmcdesigns
03-01-2012, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE]I fired it the same way as I did the PMC3 silver I tried, which was to take it to the bright orange stage and then keep that colour for 2 minutes. Do you think that it needed to be fired for longer? The piece was a solid bird approx 2cm tall if that helps.
[/ QUOTE]

I haven't tried the new Creative copper - my order is on its way (together with some bronze!), but I did fire the Art Clay Copper with a torch and found it needed a lot longer than said. Mine was a smallish pendant shape rolled to 1.5mm and it did need 20 mins torch firing. The first one fired for 10 mins didn't fire properly - couldn't polish it up even with the coarse eveflex wheels!

Obsidian Butterfly
04-01-2012, 02:33 PM
wow 20 minutes????? my arms would be dead by then! let me know how u get on with the creative copper instead. i didn't get on with the artclay copper at all.

Dennis
04-01-2012, 07:27 PM
For such prolonged firing it would be increasingly important to have assisted ventilation, because a lot of toxic gases can accumulate in that time. Dennis.

mizgeorge
04-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I wouldn't be at all happy using a microtorch for that sort of time, as the casing could very easily overheat to the point where it could become hazardous.

pmcdesigns
06-01-2012, 09:18 PM
It is sensible to know about your torch - many are made to withstand firing at up to 1300C for long periods of time. You do have make sure that the micro torch is held at a 45% angle all the times because heat rises. Additionally I would not advise anyone that is not very experienced in torch firing to fire copper clay for that length of time - just incase, as the heat needed is quite high compared to silver clay.
I can only say that is how long I had to fire to achieve the required result with a torch (and it was in a well ventilated room).

lorraineflee
07-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Before I got my kiln I used to fire PMC with a small camping stove and a mesh rack. Establish the hottest point by preheating and then place the item to be fired there.

Lorraine

Julia Rai
27-02-2012, 01:58 PM
The Creative Copper and Bronze clay are the same as Prometheus Bronze and Copper clay made in Turkey. They suggest 5-10 minutes with a torch is sufficient for firing. They have a video tutorial on the firing page on the Prometheus website.
Best wishes,
Julia