PDA

View Full Version : Cutting cones conundrum

bruggen
01-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Question then, could anyone advise me on the following. I have bought some ceramic cutting cones and cutting powder and plan to put them in my Loretone C20 barrel; do I put water in too and if so how much:confused:?
Just for background I have cut about 400 6x6mm and 8x8mm squares out of various thickness up to 2mm, put a hole in the middle and now need to take all the sharp edges off the corners, after that I will clean the barrel and put barrel bright and stainless steel (I know I need water for this) and will then make the jewellery with Swarovski crystal cubes and nicely polished squares.

Dennis
02-12-2011, 07:17 AM
Hi bruggen,
I’m sorry you don’t have any answers to your question. I have not used cutting cones and I’m not even sure that you need the powder with them, but I do think that you need water. It’s in vibrating machine’s that some media are used dry. In the end it’s a matter of trying some test pieces, or asking your supplier.

What worries me more is whether in trying to deburr your edges you will be spoiling the finish on the flat surfaces to such an extent that it won’t be restored by the second process, with shot.

I should certainly avoid mixed shot with needles. Hopefully you will let us know the outcome, so that we can all learn. Regards, Dennis.

bruggen
02-12-2011, 09:30 AM
Thank you Dennis, I eventually decided to put cones in with the tiles and 40g (20g/Kg of cones) of cutting powder and enough water to cover them, after an hour they looked grey but as I had put them in, after three hours they were looking a little worn but still sharp, I then cleaned out the barrel and rinsed the cones waiting till the morning. I have now been in touch with Suttons and they said to do exactly as I had done, the cones will take material away at a very slow rate so they said to do it over night, so they are back on now. I asked if they would clean up easily and they said that after the cones polish as normal with steel balls and barrelbright and the pieces should come up highly polished. I will post some pictures later on today or tomorrow to show the results. Regards Steve/Bruggen.