PDA

View Full Version : cast settings etc.

cezerpringle
17-08-2009, 12:31 PM
What is everyone's opinion on the cast settings, stamped beze settings, etc. Etc. At cooksons? Do you use them? If you do use them how do you rectify this with the "handmadeness" of your pieces... I'm just thinking that people must buy them and I can imagine that they're cheaper than making the settings by hand.. and of course more time efficient.... just thought it would be interesting to guage opinion.
Thanks
Ceri :)

ben b
17-08-2009, 02:01 PM

cezerpringle
17-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks, that was very informative... I think I'm worried about buying them as I worry about whether it can really be reffered to as handmade when using a premade setting, if nothing else it sure as anything cuts down on wastage.
Thanks

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 03:55 PM
It's all a matter of degrees isn't it? I have had countless arguments with tutors over the years over this subject...none of it jewellery related though.

I always got uptight about 'artists' who only come up with a concept and then get a craftsman to translate it into stone, wood, metal, paint - whatever....and then the artist gets all the acclaim but the technical skill and workmanship provided by the person who physically created the artifact is never mentioned.

Most people who make jewellery will accept without a second thought the use of machine made chain, lobster clasps, wire drawn to specific thickness and ready made sheet metal without once thinking that to be a true purist in the search of the totally handmade they would have to mine and refine their own precious metals - create their own sheet and wire, chains and fastenings. Then how much further do you go... what about using machinery in your workshop...the chemicals you buy in...the enamels that are ground, refined, and quality controlled? Precious stones that are mined, sorted cut and finished by another craftsman? Beads....., stringing materials....

When once you start to be pedantic you get mired down in a bog of your own making.

I can't talk because I find it hard to use bought in stuff. The fact that I am working in fine silver, and there is very little in the way of ready made findings available in the UK, and what there is I object to paying over the odds for...means I end up making most of my stuff myself....but I also have a very limited range of things I can make at the moment. But I know the time will come when it is simply crazy for me not to buy some finished findings.

Most customers would not bat an eyelid at you using a bought in finding - just because what you are talking about is a bit more fancy than a headpin(!!) doesn't make this any less true. What they are looking for in a handmade piece is uniqueness...something that can't be bought elsewhere...something that has been loved and crafted by someone who cares about what they make and the customer they pass it on to.

In the end it is down to you how far you go down this road before you draw the line and say stop. Each person will have their own comfort zone and so long as you are happy with what you make and can comfortably accept a piece as being handmade by you then that is right for you. No one has the right to criticise another's choice on where the line is drawn. At the end of the day the customer will decide if your 'handmade' ticks their boxes or the 'handfinished' imported stuff from the stall down the aisle does.

Generally people don't just appear on the scene as ready made jewellers. Certainly it would seem that the majority of people on this forum have started out very humbly - working with purchased finding and learning the skills they need to progress - that sort of work is very much loved by both the maker (at that time in their career) and their customers...just as much as the glorious gemstone encrusted creations of the truly experienced artisan jeweller is by them and their customers.

Just be happy with what you are doing...that is all that matters...you are supposed to be filled with happiness and satisfaction watching your creation develop...not tying yourself up in knots and having sleepless nights about how handmade your beautiful work is!!

Erm... I'll just step down off my soapbox now shall I?? :D :"> :-"

ps_bond
17-08-2009, 03:59 PM
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Carl Sagan

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 04:01 PM
Yet again...some bloke says it in a sentence when I have written a thesis!! :rolleyes: :rofl:

Still ...all of my speech was 'handmade'.....I didn't pluck it off the bookshelf!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

cezerpringle
17-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Lmao I think I'm in love with this forum :p
I think my issue is that in learning setting I'm not really making anything sellable, my soldering is actually pretty good, I didn't even think that it might be before creating a ring for class (unfortunately no pics as it's still with the assesor :( ) I created the ring, the heart attached to it and the setting (basket) all with hard solder, I then used easy to attach the setting though (I have no medium lol) but when I thought of the number of joints I made with hard solder without melting it all (at least 10) I knew I must be ok.
While I'm learning all these skills it would be great to get some form of contribution towards my costs by selling stuff lol.
So I suppose if I end up using premade while I'm learning to make something half as good looking it's not the end of the world. Esspecially as I've been told that many jewellers use setters anyways.
My greatest problem with all this is really my confidence (well that and the risk to my personal safety from burns and cuts)
Thanks

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 04:54 PM
Ceri I think you fit in here just fine. I loved Barbara's 'thesis' but then she always writes a lot of sense. The Carl Sagan quote put it all into a nutshell. Each of reply was relevant, each was well thought out - just because Peter's quote came 'off the shelf' didn't make it worth any less, did it?

So, my opinion? What they said!

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Lmao I think I'm in love with this forum :p

So I suppose if I end up using premade while I'm learning to make something half as good looking it's not the end of the world. Esspecially as I've been told that many jewellers use setters anyways.
My greatest problem with all this is really my confidence (well that and the risk to my personal safety from burns and cuts)
Thanks

Exactamundo!!! (as my son would say!!). You will find people will love what you do if you show them and enthuse about how you did it and the processes involved...They will know you love the work you have done and that you have poured a little bit of your soul into it... THAT'S what you can't get ready made!! If they want to own it and you don't mind passing it on to someone else to enjoy, then pocket the money and run!!:-D

As to confidence...just read the posts hun!! We all are burdened and hampered with a lack of it!! Just remember that the vast majority of people out there that will view your work will consider you something of a GOD because you can perform magic with metal and stones and they wouldn't know where to begin...

And you are going to LOVE this forum....guaranteed!!

...by the way - I expect you to be giving me a pep talk in a few days when my confidence hits rock bottom again...as it does....frequently!!:rofl:

cezerpringle
17-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Deal! When you say a bit of your soul goes into it it's soo true, quite often more of me goes into it than that! Take about a month ago, wasn't watching what I was doing, plopped the pice I just soldered in the water (which i'd put out the day before, quite often my cats prefer that stuff to drink for some odd reason) heard the comforting shhh noise, so picked it up without looking, heard the noise again and thought that's not right, felt pain, dropped it and realised that one of helpful darlings had drunk it so there was about 1mm of water!. The room filled with the smell of bacon which was just disturbing :p
Still, it's not taken me to hospital unlike my winemaking (crushed airlock in my palm)
I'm a tad accident prone lol.

Solunar Silver Studio
17-08-2009, 06:31 PM
OMG Ceri ...and you have chosen to work with flame!!! Mind you...initially I had an overwhealming urge to touch 'cherry red' metal...it is such a beautiful colour!! Bit of a moth mentality!! Fortunately I have managed to control myself so far!

It's a good idea to keep the tongs/tweezers in your hand when you quench. You have to have them to put the metal in...you might as well keep hold of them to take it out!:Y:

Ominicci
18-08-2009, 04:43 PM
Ha ha sound advice!! I haven't yet done what Ceri did but you never know....