PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all Jewellery Makers

Sophie
11-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Hello everyone

I have been reading this forum for a while and am really impressed on the great advice given.

I have been making silver keepsake jewellery for a while out of silver clay (children's hand/feet prints) and have recently started a Silversmith course at college to expand my skills.

I have recently bought 7 small rubies (size 7 mm x 5 mm) which are oval and am wondering how to set them. They are cut but all the silver oval settings on cooksons are for flat stones and these are not. I could try and make a setting but what would I buy if I wanted to get a flat strip with pins to hold the stones. Hmmmm - anyone with any advice.

Thanks
Sophie

Dennis
12-11-2011, 04:17 AM
This is not a beginner's project, but the easiest way would be to make a basket setting using 0.8mm round wire.

At its most basic you would make a cross of wire and bend up the wires until they embrace your stone. Then make an oval ring to bear the stone just smaller than its girdle and solder it to your uprights which will become your prongs. The wire ring would be made round at first, with a diameter of Length+Width divided by two, and then made oval on a mini triblet.

It is likely that your teacher would have a handout for this, or you can find it in general text books such as Tim McCreight. Whatever you do, practice with cheap wire first. Regards, Dennis.

Sophie
02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Hi Dennis
Thanks for the great advice. I will check with my teacher and see what I can do.

Cheers
Sophie