PDA

View Full Version : Sievert torch set up

Trish
11-11-2011, 11:31 AM
Can anyone tell me how to set the regulator for a Seivert propane torch. it appears to be a fixed regulator with no numbers on it but knob turns left and right . What difference does it make ?

Goldsmith
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Trish, if you are just connecting your Sievert torch to a standard orange propane cylinder, then the regulator will keep the flow fro the cylinder at a constant pressure, my regulator has three numbers around the knob, but I leave it in the middle on number 2 for my Sievert torch. The power of the flame is adjusted by either changing the torch nozzel or adjusting the torch knob. The pressure from the propane cylinder just needs to be constant and whatever setting you leave the knob at the regulator will keep the gas pressure at a constant level.
James

Trish
15-11-2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you James , for your expert reply, have only used the small canister gas before and wanted to to be sure and safe with the Seivert torch. I want to try my hand at enamelling with a torch .

Goldsmith
16-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Hi Trish, many years ago I did torch enameling, we used to have a chemist's steel tripod with a steel mesh on top and we heated the job that was seated on the mesh, from below with a torch flame under the mesh, heated until the enamel flowed. Making sure that the flame never touched the enamels as it would discolour them if it ever touched any enamel.
Good luck.
James

art925
19-11-2011, 10:14 AM
Hi Trish, many years ago I did torch enameling, we used to have a chemist's steel tripod with a steel mesh on top and we heated the job that was seated on the mesh, from below with a torch flame under the mesh, heated until the enamel flowed. Making sure that the flame never touched the enamels as it would discolour them if it ever touched any enamel.
Good luck.
James

Does this method work well James? I have been put off enamelling because of the extra kit required. I have a small but powerful bunsen burner and tripod, so providing I keep the flame well focused on the under side of the silver, with patience I could achieve a nice flow. Is there an optimum temp to be working at?

Goldsmith
19-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Does this method work well James? I have been put off enamelling because of the extra kit required. I have a small but powerful bunsen burner and tripod, so providing I keep the flame well focused on the under side of the silver, with patience I could achieve a nice flow. Is there an optimum temp to be working at?

Yes enameling can be simple if you wish to experiment, you need clean surfaces, clean enamels, and clean heating. Keep the flame away from touching the enamels, heat from below and just watch until the enamel flows, use your eyes just like when soldering. After the enamel has flowed, let it cool slowly, then perhaps level the surface with some abrasive stones, clean the surface and re heat gently until you regain the glossy but now flat surface.
Have a go on something small first. Transparent enamels need more heat than most opaques, but all have a lower melting point than silver, gold or copper. Here is a good source of fine enamels; http://www.milton-bridge.co.uk/prod_enam_schauer_trans.htm
Good luck.
James

caroleallen
19-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I do a fair bit of torch enamelling but I always get a better finish with the kiln. It's fun to watch the enamel turn glassy though, but you have to watch it or you can overfire very quickly.

Dennis
19-11-2011, 10:16 PM
I'm intrigued by all this talk of torch firing, Carole. can you suggest a book, or a tutorial with more information? Are the enamels ready to use, or do they need grinding and washing? Regards, Dennis.

Goldsmith
20-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Hello Dennis,
Here is an old book that I have in my collection called The Technique of Enamelling by Geoffrey Clarke and F&I Feher, I got mine in back 1977 and I think it is out of print now but I searched and found that Amazon have some 2nd sellers with Library copies for a few quid. see; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0713458755/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used
As for enamels they will only fire a clean as they are when applied, so you cannot clean enamels too much, for some types of enamel work you can fire un ground enamels, I have used this method when making odd jewellery for my daughter, I made some rings with various size tubes soldered on and just sat blocks of enamel on the tubes and melted them in place, they flowed OK and filled the tubes.
Below is a photo copied out of the book I mentioned, showing a set up for torch enamelling.
James

Dennis
21-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Thank you James, I know in my heart that if I start on this I won't be satisfied until I try it in a kiln. Fortunately there is one in the college I attend, so I am still mulling over a suitable beginner's project. regards, Dennis.