PDA

View Full Version : Good books??

amazingbabe
17-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi folks, am just starting out on the metal smithing side of things and i was just wondering if there is a book out there that would teach me the basic's...
I have seen on other forums "the complete metal smith by Tim McCreight... Can anyone vouch for this??? or maybe others?? xoxox

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Have a look at this thread some helpful suggestions there http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149&highlight=books

amazingbabe
17-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Thank you so much for that su,,, I knew i had seen that forum in my travels, cheers for that!!! xxx Am off to order The complete metalsmith woo hoo!!!:-"

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 11:25 AM
lol i have just done that too and two others lol

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I think the Tim McCreight is a great reference book, but perhaps not necessarily one to learn from - it's not designed for that.

Two I'd thoroughly recommend are Jinks McGrath's http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Making-Complete-Course-Beginners/dp/184543238X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250519169&sr=8-1

and also the two in one manual: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jewellery-Two-Manuals-Madeline-Coles/dp/1840921978/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250519213&sr=8-1

Both cover projects and techniques, and are extremely well illustrated.

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I already have the first one george - was studying it all day yesterday and have now put your other recommendation on my wish list thank you :)

Di Sandland
17-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I heartily recommend the Jinks McGrath one too. Is the author a he or a she?

EmmaRose
19-08-2009, 05:02 PM
I'm with Miz George on that!

caroleallen
19-08-2009, 06:46 PM
I'd recommend the Jinks McGrath (female) and the two in one as well, both are excellent for beginners. I met Jinks McGrath at Art in Action and she had some fabulous bright blue lapis jewellery. She said she'd brought the lapis back from Afganistan where she'd been setting up a jewellery school!

The Dragon
19-08-2009, 07:20 PM
The Jinks McGrath one was so good instead of curling up in bed for a good read I got up at 2 in the morning to try out some of the things I'd seen in the book. I think it's a definate must as a ref for beginners. I also have the Tim McCreight's book which is very good but probably a bit too 'heavy' for someone just starting out, it's better as a follow-up book to help refine your skills

Annie xXx

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 07:25 PM
I bought two books whilst down the town today, cant remember the titles atm but one was very much a beginners book and it has a lovely lot of pictures to show what they are saying about and is in laymans terms for me :D I will look the names up later or something lol

julie
19-08-2009, 07:26 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shortcuts-Jewellery-Making-Stephen-OKeeffe/dp/0713665076 is another good book :Y:

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 07:30 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shortcuts-Jewellery-Making-Stephen-OKeeffe/dp/0713665076 is another good book :Y:

Duly noted miss :D

Ominicci
19-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Books. Harumph. Don't talk to me about books! Having just been on the HRMC Self Employment Workshop and found out you can't count training courses or books against business expenses I am well peed off. (More about that tomorrow in another thread)

Di Sandland
20-08-2009, 10:24 AM
I think tho - and you'll correct me if I'm wrong - that you can claim magazine subs!

Actually, there is a bright side to understanding business expenses - for the first two years of my woodturning business, when I made a loss or just broke even, I got very nice tax refunds at the end of the year :cool:

Ominicci
20-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Only if they are 'trade' magazines apparently.

I will do a thread with a few of the things that came up in a minute - please add any other informative things from business point of view :Y:

Di Sandland
20-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I'll speak to Keith when he comes home - he does the practical stuff like tax returns!

bustagasket
20-08-2009, 04:46 PM
took delivery of the three books i ordered from Amazon today, and with the two i bought in the town yesterday, i have one hell of a lot of reading to do lol

Di Sandland
20-08-2009, 04:51 PM
I have an amazing book from the library. Another Jinks McGrath one - just called Rings - she is astonishingly good at explaining things.

Denice
24-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd certainly go along with both Jinks McGrath and Tim McCreight - they are both excellent educators and communicators and I find there's usually plenty of photo's to illustrate what they mention.

The other book (the jewellery makers Bible when I was in uni) is Oppi Untracht's Jewelry concepts and tecniques. It may not be totally up to date with the 'newest' equipment - but it certainly covers just about everything you can imagine when it comes to techniques.

Just make sure you shop around though - it can be VERY expensive!

Dano
05-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I have an amazing book from the library. Another Jinks McGrath one - just called Rings - she is astonishingly good at explaining things.

she really is, this book is currently sat on my bedside table. annie is right about this being dangerous for your sleep patterns/waking up the neighbours :dance:

The Dragon
06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I've just bought 'The Art of Enameling' by Linda Darty.

OMG how many amazing, gorgeous things can you fit in one book. I tried reading it last night but I was so tired I just ended up looking at all the pictures lol. It's already given me one or two new ideas, I just a few bits & pieces now (like a kiln, enameling kit, extra day in the week to work) and I'll be ready to play.

:)

caroleallen
06-09-2009, 11:50 AM
There'll be no stopping you now Annie! You don't need a kiln though. A lot of my work is done with a torch. I really only turn the kiln on if I've got loads to do. I love to torch fire as you can watch the powder turn to glass and stop just at the right moment.

The Dragon
06-09-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh really - told you I haven't read it yet!!!

Oops the pendant I've been thinking about has just got changed again (scribbles idea down on a piece of paper) - just need to think about what type I want to start with and see who offers the best price for enamels!

:Y:

Unhindered
13-09-2009, 05:29 PM
I 2nd that Oppi Untract is an amazing book, its massive and expensive tho, I think I ended up getting mine from amazon for about £35? RRP £60! It is very detailed and technical tho so it depends on what you need it for!

amazingbabe
14-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Jinks McGrath ,,,,, excellent for beginners, just love it xx

Silver Leaves
14-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I've got the Jinks McGrath one, I've managed to teach myself some of the basics from this, it's really easy to follow lot of clear pics. Still need some help from the lovely people here when things go wrong though!

lorraineflee
14-09-2009, 01:56 PM
I love jewellery making books - trouble is I spend to much time reading them and not enough time out in the garage (sorry I meant studio!) actually doing anything! #-o
Lorraine

MuranoSilver
14-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I've just bought 'The Art of Enameling' by Linda Darty.

OMG how many amazing, gorgeous things can you fit in one book. I tried reading it last night but I was so tired I just ended up looking at all the pictures lol. It's already given me one or two new ideas, I just a few bits & pieces now (like a kiln, enameling kit, extra day in the week to work) and I'll be ready to play.
:)

I'm doing a five day course with Linda in October, soooooo excited :))):)))

Di Sandland
14-09-2009, 02:31 PM
my copy arrived this morning, along with the Lark publication Metal Clay Beads. So many beautiful things and so little time...

Julie Moss
17-09-2009, 11:45 AM
Another really good book, especially if you want to set stones is Creative Stone Setting. Can't remember the author off the top of my head but i think it's published by A C & Black. Well worth the investment....

agent_44
17-09-2009, 03:24 PM
Another really good book, especially if you want to set stones is Creative Stone Setting. Can't remember the author off the top of my head but i think it's published by A C & Black. Well worth the investment....

John Cogswell - and yes, its a fab book, every detail of every variation/possibility seems to be covered in what I have read of it so far.

lorraineflee
17-09-2009, 04:03 PM
John Cogswell - and yes, its a fab book, every detail of every variation/possibility seems to be covered in what I have read of it so far.

I've just bought this (after seeing it recommended her earlier) it seems really good -- easy writing style and easy to follow explanations of what to do!
Lorraine

The Dragon
17-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Ok I've given in to a bit more retail therapy! lol

I've just bought the John Cogswell book and the Jinks McGrath on rings as well, I need to expand my collection to include rings anyway.:-"

The nice thing was I ended up ordering them through the Book Depository and paying quite a bit less for them than originally expected, don't know if any of you other guys have come across them yet but they do have a large title range and in most cases are cheaper than Amazon:Y:

MuranoSilver
18-09-2009, 07:49 AM
Oooh just noticed they've got Modelling in Wax for Jewellery & Sculpture (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780873418515/Modelling-in-Wax-for-Jewellery-and-Sculpture)
didn't know that had been re-printed (40% off too)

agent_44
18-09-2009, 07:57 AM
I have ordered quite a few things on all subjects from The Book Depository in the past and they are pretty good! Delivery can take a little long for my preference, but then you can usually save quite a bit with them.

Ominicci
18-09-2009, 09:17 AM
I have not heard of the Book Depository! Have now bookmarked it. Only downside is that it is not part of the cashback site I use for school fundraising, but as it's cheaper than Amazon....:Y:

jeweller nan
20-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Ive just read a fascinating book called 'The Metalsmith's Book of Boxes & Lockets (Jewelry Crafts)' .....which was very informative, I got mine from the library of course, as I'm on a pension!

caroleallen
20-09-2009, 03:19 PM
I think my favourite book at the moment is a newish book called The Jewellery Materials Sourcebook by Anastasia Young. It has a section on every material you could mention from acrylic to zircon and is very informative about techniques. She's a teacher at Central St Martins and she certainly knows her stuff.

Ominicci
21-09-2009, 07:12 PM
I LOVE 'The Metalsmith's Book of Boxes & Lockets (Jewelry Crafts)' - surprise, surprise it's a Tim McCreight book. I also love Making Metal Beads by Pauline Warg.

lucy81
25-10-2009, 02:05 PM
went to the local big bookshop and finally bought 'jewellery making' by jinks mcgrath. ended up missing my stop (on the bus). for a book like this, it has really clear pictures and instructions. haven't put it down!

amazingbabe
25-10-2009, 06:44 PM
My all time favourite is Jinks Mc grath =D>:Y::Y:

Di Sandland
25-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Can't disagree with that Gayle :Y:

Helenka
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Can anyone recommend good books on the business side of things?
I am a complete newbie and learn as I go along..
:confused:

Dragonsmagic
08-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Oooh after reading this post I am off into town to hunt down some books :)

I only have two at the minute and they have both been extreamly helpfull in getting me started, they are "Start making jewellery" by Nicola Hurst and "Tips and shortcuts for Jewellery Making" by Stephen O'Keeffe. Both really well illustrated which has helped me no end as I need to SEE and not just read to really take things in and learn them properly ;)