PDA

View Full Version : How to set a ladybird cabouchon?!

bob flemming
17-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Hello,

This is my first "proper" post (other than my little introduction) and I have a strange question. A friend and I are doing a craft swap - she is knitting me a new scarf, and has asked me to make her a stone-set silver ring, which in theory is no problem at all.

However, the "stone" that she has asked me to set is actually a glass ladybird cabouchon. Basically, it's a round glass cabouchon with a 2cm diameter, but there's a little head part added on that is about 7mm in diameter. As I see it,. I have three options:

1. A rub-over bezel setting and leave the head touched. This might look a bit odd, especially as the little fella is red with black spots and the bezel strip would have to cover some of the spots. And his head might look a bit odd.
2. Claw set the stone with 4 claws. But I think this would look strange as well, as the claws would have to come up quite high.
3. Simply glue the stone onto the a silver base that has been soldered on to the ring shank. I actually think this is the simplest and best solution.

Can anyone suggest a different/better way of resolving this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

MuranoSilver
17-08-2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Bob
If you do an Google image search for "scarab ring" you'll get lots of ideas :)
(I searched for the closest thing in shape I could think of)
A lot use cut out bezels - i.e higher sides lower front & back you could do that plus a chemical bond (glue) to give the ring more security/solidity
Nic x

bustagasket
17-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Take note Bob - Nic is a mine of information and invaluable to most if not all of us. What she cant andswer then usually Peter (PS Bond) can lol

I just create havoc and have to behave when Nics on, or she beats me mercilessly *sniff*

MuranoSilver
17-08-2009, 10:10 AM
:"> I'm just fast with Google ;)

bob flemming
17-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Nic,

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by a cut out bezel. I don't suppose you can paste a link to an image of such a ring?

I wanted to post links to pictures of rings that I think you mean, but the site won't let me as I haven't posted enough yet!

mizgeorge
17-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Bob, you can upload pictures to your profile album I think.