PDA

View Full Version : Making a Photography Background

MuranoSilver
06-07-2009, 05:06 PM
I thought this quick explanation of how to make your own graduated
background in Photoshop (or similar) might come in useful to people.
It'll save you £££'s against buying one!

You need:
1 x Sheet of Matt Photographic paper (ideally A4)
1 x Ink-jet or Laser-jet printer
1 x Photo programme (e.g. Photoshop)

Instructions:
1) Set your paper size to A4 (210 × 297 mm)
2) Use the Colour selector to select the Colours you'd like your gradient to be (e.g. Black & White)
3) Select the gradient tool (on photoshop it's behind the paint bucket tool)
4) Fill a selection by clicking and dragging the pointer across the canvas or selection.
The larger the drag the more gradual the gradient will be. All of the control of the tool lies in the dragging of the pointer.
Pressing and holding the shift key will create perfectly aligned gradients.

Have a play with whatever programme you're using their are normally a few options for different gradient styles.....

When you're happy print it out onto the photo paper and voilą
you have your own professional looking photo background!

Here's an example of something I took using mine (I selected the darker area of the gradient
but by using an A4 sheet you can also select a lighter gradient)

For comparison the same jewellery item has been on a white background and a graduated background
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/loveandbelovedsmall.jpghttp://www.muranosilver.com/images/loveandbelovedwht.jpghttp://www.muranosilver.com/images/swirlfrontsmall.jpghttp://www.muranosilver.com/images/loveandbelovedreverse.jpg

The pics aren't up to studio standard but with the help of a cheapo ebay light tent and some good lighting
you can get some great results....

Nic xxx

The Bijou Dragon
11-07-2009, 08:55 AM
That's a great idea, thanks :)

I also buy papers from craft shops like Hobbycraft, there are some beautiful yet understated ones that would be perfect!

Charlotte
19-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've been struggling with getting enough light on my work (3 lamps pointing at it doesn't seem to work!) so the light tent should be perfect... I never really thought about what the jewellery was being photographed on, probably because the lighting is more of an issue, but I'll definitely remember it for the future!

I usually get my geeky partner to do the rest. He uses a free editing programme called GIMP... If you can't afford photoshop its just as good, you should be able to find a download if you search it in google (its perfectly legal, don't worry), and there are some good tutorials on how to use it on youtube.

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 02:11 PM
normally the graduated background (an infinity curve in photography) is simply caused by the fall of in light against a curved white background and the way the camera registers light.....

MuranoSilver
20-07-2009, 02:24 PM
True = but I'm cheating :D

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 02:14 PM
All this photography stuff is very timely for me. I'm in the process of setting up a website and want the pics to be 'just so.' My (sometimes) better half has just stopped me from spending 300 quid on a jewellery-photography set up! That's 300 quid we haven't got, I hasten to add.:o

Di x

The Bijou Dragon
25-07-2009, 05:33 PM
I have been using my Planishing block for a background of late and alot of people have been commenting how nice it looks! So much so that I'm going to go and find some brushed aluminium to use instead of my block which will only become more worn in time and lost it's appeal photography wise :)

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Just took a look - and, yes, your planishing block does make a neat background :D

The Bijou Dragon
25-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Just took a look - and, yes, your planishing block does make a neat background :D

I did it by chance just once and loved the look and then so did everyone else so it's stayed!

julie
25-07-2009, 07:20 PM
the planishing block was a good effect perfect for earrings :D

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 04:40 PM
cheap mirror card from art shop underneath you work for reflections of work can look pretty cool!
Em

Denice
24-08-2009, 06:56 PM
I like the effect of the planishing block too.

On a few occasions I've used the scanner for getting my image instead of photographing it - had some good results!

bustagasket
24-08-2009, 08:09 PM
love all these photography tips :D

agent_44
24-08-2009, 08:12 PM
All this photography stuff is very timely for me. I'm in the process of setting up a website and want the pics to be 'just so.' My (sometimes) better half has just stopped me from spending 300 quid on a jewellery-photography set up! That's 300 quid we haven't got, I hasten to add.:o

Di x

Was it table top studio by any chance? I bought the kit if it was, and although its good stuff, with a bit of effort I could have got the same for less muny (MUCH less) and tbh, I don't use a lot of it now!

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 08:13 PM
It was but I was talked out of it and bought a small light tent and a couple of cheap halogen lamps. Works a treat :Y:

agent_44
24-08-2009, 08:24 PM
It was but I was talked out of it and bought a small light tent and a couple of cheap halogen lamps. Works a treat :Y:

Wish someone had talked me out of it, I literally use one of the big lights on the tall stand now, nothing else, I even ended up replacing the large light tent with a cheaper one that I much prefer. Don't know what I did with the TTS one but it got wonky and kept tipping up!

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 08:59 PM
So my other half does have his uses then! I was determined to have that kit!

The Dragon
24-08-2009, 09:07 PM
Sorry to go a little off topic - But I've just had a quick look at your web site - I'm doing research for mine at the moment and I have to say your 'tiny patch of blue' picture really does look the bees knees - it's great advertisement for your work. I hope my website looks half as good.

:))):dancing::)))

Di Sandland
24-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Aw, thanks Annie, you've made me blush now :o:o:o

Pandanimal
25-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Getting photos of my work is the hardest part. I am determined to not spend to much time taking photos as its all time unpaid in a way. And I know that my photos are really not as good as they could be and that probably my sales suffer as a consequence.
Do I sound confused? I am!.
I might see if I can get this graduated background thing to work as I lack a planishing block.
I mostly use my outside table for photos.

EmmaRose
25-08-2009, 10:51 AM
lastolite does a great little kit designed for ebayers, about £30, perfect for jewellery, including a tent, grey card and even blue filters to put over normal lamps...
E

Boo
25-08-2009, 11:44 AM
Hello, this is my first post, I hope you don't mind me diving in with a suggestion - I tend to gravitate to photography discussions.

You really don't need to spend money to make a suitable photography environment for small items like jewellery - I have a tutorial on my own set up which is based on a left over storage bucket from the fat balls I put out for the birds - along with a little kitchen foil and a bit of time.

I also have a tutorial on small item photography linked from it too. Quite often when I see problems posted in forums like this - especially where lighting is mentioned - or often the lack of it - it's not the amount of lighting that's an issue, but exposing appropriately for the scene - a little know how and understanding of why problems happen often totally eliminates the need for any further expenditure.

I can't seemingly post the direct URLs yet, but I think the small item tutorial should appear in my sig. and the light diffuser is linked from that page, it's on the same site.