PDA

View Full Version : the eternal rolling mill question

medusa
30-09-2011, 03:15 PM
I know there have been a few of them, but I'm still undecided.

I would really like to get a rolling mill in order to thin metal sheet and solder down and also to make rectangular wire in different gauges. I currently use 5x1.7 and 6x2 and I'd like to start using 8x2. It would be hugely convenient if I could just buy 6 or 8x2 and roll or maybe draw down to a thinner gauge.

Now I can see cookies have the economy mill and as it comes with 5 rollers I assume it has wire rollers, but I'm guessing that it's a bit... well... not well made. However, the durstan which would do the biz is £500 more. I'm currently in the position of being a little bit cash rich but time poor so not really likely to be doing much in the way of making until after new year, but 700 quid is still a lot of dosh.

My recycling nature has kept me scouring ebay and preloved for second hand mills, but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth now I can actually afford one.

So, do I get the economy one (or even on one of the lookie-likies on ebay) and maybe buy a decent drawplate for the wire, go mad on a C130, or sit tight and wait until I see a good mill second hand?

mizgeorge
30-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I covet a big durston - with double rollers - but couldn't justify the cost, so in the meantime I have an Indian cheapie, which actually does the job pretty well. I have two sets of rollers, one for wire and one wide plain set and find changing them pretty easy now.

I will have that big mill in time, but not quite yet....

medusa
30-09-2011, 03:44 PM
I saw some of your posts, George when searching. do you have the cookies economy mill? How's it holding up? I have a horror of buying cheap and buying twice.

Goldsmith
30-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I may be selling some of my workshop equipment soon if my wife has anything to do with it. I have a Durston D2 mill fixed to a floor standing Durston Cabinet Stand. I also have a large Cavallin drawbench which will also be for sale. I am not sure what route to go down, I am told that Ebay might be good, but I may try some of my trade or forum friends first when the time comes.
James

mizgeorge
30-09-2011, 05:27 PM
My cheap mill was from t4j. I've had it a couple of years and it's still going strong. I have to watch the calibration when changing the rollers, and not having a gauge drives me potty (I always end up turning the adjustment screw in the wrong direction), but it's certainly done its job.

James - can I go in the queue if you decide to sell the Durston please!

caroleallen
30-09-2011, 05:29 PM
I'd love a drawbench but I don't think I've got room for it really.

Kwant
30-09-2011, 05:32 PM
My parents were going to bring me over a mill from the UK on their last visit, but as the price of silver shot up I thought it better to buy the silver and carry on with recycling my scrap by melting and bashing. However I still, almost weekly look at the link to tj4 and other mills, how sad is that :0)

medusa
30-09-2011, 07:13 PM
I may be selling some of my workshop equipment soon if my wife has anything to do with it. I have a Durston D2 mill fixed to a floor standing Durston Cabinet Stand. I also have a large Cavallin drawbench which will also be for sale. I am not sure what route to go down, I am told that Ebay might be good, but I may try some of my trade or forum friends first when the time comes.
James

I think even in my obsession for the best, a D2 might be overkill for what I need unless it's coming in at a really fabulous price.

My cheap mill was from t4j. I've had it a couple of years and it's still going strong. I have to watch the calibration when changing the rollers, and not having a gauge drives me potty (I always end up turning the adjustment screw in the wrong direction), but it's certainly done its job.

James - can I go in the queue if you decide to sell the Durston please!

hmmm... I'll have a look there. If James does decide to sell on the forum, will we have to have some kind of gladiatorial contest to see who gets it?

I'd love a drawbench but I don't think I've got room for it really.

same here. my workshop is only about 4 foot by 7.

My parents were going to bring me over a mill from the UK on their last visit, but as the price of silver shot up I thought it better to buy the silver and carry on with recycling my scrap by melting and bashing. However I still, almost weekly look at the link to tj4 and other mills, how sad is that :0)

Oh trust me, I'm with you there. The other half keeps asking what's wrong with me always looking at flower presses (which is what he thinks they are!)