PDA

View Full Version : Not a valid file?

Dennis
29-09-2011, 08:05 PM
When I try to post a JPEG file, using the paperclip above, even pictures I have posted before, the message comes up 'Not a valid file'.
This has happened to me before and needed intervention. So could Dave or Peter please have o go? Many thanks, Dennis.

ps_bond
29-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Hi Dennis - me too I'm afraid. Probably the same thing as last time so I'll get it flagged.

susieq
29-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Phew - I can stop banging my head against a brick wall then. Have just spent a frustrating few hours trying to create an album so I can post a photo before the autumn challenge theme closes. Its the first time I've attempted to attach a photo - and tbh have been going round and round in circles, even finding the FAQ section not altogether helpful. I too got the message "not a valid file" and have been trying to find out exactly what are the valid file formats. I also haven't managed to find out what the maximum file size is that I can download - although I have had messages telling me that my file is too large.

Currently on holiday with my little netbook and no mouse, and, even more irritatingly I left my card reader at home.

Hopefully this'll get sorted before close of play tomorrow ............ .

Now to catch up on a week of posts.

dgrose
30-09-2011, 06:21 AM
Sorry... one of the settings wasn't changed when we moved servers. Its been fixed now. Any further problems, let me know.

Regards

Dave

surfergirl
30-09-2011, 07:30 AM
Ah! That's why! Hence linking to Flickr in my post on the competition thread :)

Dennis
30-09-2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you, that's solved that, but it brings me to another burning question:

1. When I download pictures from Photobucket they are much too large.(see my competition entry). I have tried editing the pictures and selecting 'pre-set sizes small', and 'replace image', but when they appear on the forum they are still the same huge size. I think I must be missing out a step, but what?

2. Oh yes, I nearly forgot, but it is happening now. Intermittently when I am typing my post, the cursor stops blinking, and disappears from the line. It is then difficult to continue, and I have to cut and paste to Word to finish.

Now I am about to paste it back. Dennis.

mizgeorge
30-09-2011, 01:01 PM
the simplest thing is to add a size to the code. So it could read [IMG width=400] your image details .jpg

If you've edited a size after an original posting, though, you may need to refresh your screen to see the new version. You're probably seeing a cached version of the original.

Kwant
30-09-2011, 05:01 PM
I like seeing the large sized photos it helps see the detail of the work you guys post and I was under the impression if we did not upload, linking to a place like flickr or photobucket was ok and the size did not matter. Am I wrong?

ps_bond
30-09-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm more in favour of using Flickr, personally - their servers have the capacity to handle large files.

Dennis
30-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanx George, I'll have another go. Dennis.