PDA

View Full Version : A Granny Chain.

Dennis
26-09-2011, 07:31 AM
This summer I decided to make a long chain for an elderly friend, but youthful in stile and trying to avoid it looking too much like regalia, or worse still like one of those chains for glasses, which I find very aging.

First I made a complete segment in copper to test the idea. My to do list shows the elements used: some round links of round wire and three geometric designs made from triangular wire for a more interesting profile. The extension at the back is made to lie flatter, so as not to bump up a jacket and until I check it with her the chain may be on the long side at 80cm .

With the price of silver escalating I was pleased to draw down lots of wire ends for this. The initial is also made from wire, in keeping with the links, so that rather than add a tag as well I shall skip hall marking for this one.
Dennis .

Kwant
26-09-2011, 09:45 AM
That is a real nice looking chain Dennis. In your notes I see "mandrel" does this mean you made the geometric elements on shaped mandrels? Or did you do them some other way?

Dennis
27-09-2011, 07:48 AM
Thank you Kwant,
No, the mandrel 10 and mandrel 8 refers to the shanks of my large set of twist drills, going upto 13mm which I use to standardise my jump rings.

The geometrical shapes were marked with dividers, partly cut with a saw, filed to V-shapes bent up and soldered. The squares were checked on graph paper.

A problem I have with dividers is that they gradually open in use. I have tried temporarily sticking the screw with hot wax, but it eventually gives, leaving a mess. I suppose some thread locking adhesive might be better. Dennis.

lilia
27-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Hi Dennis,

I like this, wouldn't mind wearing it myself and I am not an older lady. Very en vogue :) It must have taken forever through to make the geometrical links?

Kathryn Harrison
27-09-2011, 01:46 PM
Some work displays a level of patience that amazes me and this is one of them! I'll try remember this when I'm finding a tiny bit of end chain a little daunting :D