PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm new!

Josiejo
24-09-2011, 02:50 PM
Hello there,

My name is Jo and I'm a hobby jeweller. In my real life I'm a Development Scientist, but have been making silver jewellery on and off for the past 10 years (mostly off, but I'm definitely working on that!).

All the pictures I have seen on the forum are so nice - you really are a talanted bunch!

Nice to be here!

Jo

ps_bond
24-09-2011, 05:05 PM
Hi Jo - welcome!

What sort of development do you study?

Josiejo
24-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Hi,

thanks for the welcome, I work for a company that make scientific instrumentation. I develop new measurement techniques.
Ah, even over the inter-web I can hear your head dropping and see the glazed eyes. Jewellery is MUCH more interesting!!

Jo

Tabby66
24-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Welcome Jo!! Sounds interesting....let's talk jewellery..............;D

Dennis
24-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Hithanks for the welcome, I work for a company that make scientific instrumentation. I develop new measurement techniques.
Ah, even over the inter-web I can hear your head dropping and see the glazed eyes. Jewellery is MUCH more interesting!!
Jo

On the contrary Jo, some of us would like to know more. Welcome to the forum. Dennis.

sonia
24-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Hi Jo

welcome from me too....

Sonia
x

ps_bond
25-09-2011, 07:17 AM
thanks for the welcome, I work for a company that make scientific instrumentation. I develop new measurement techniques.

Ah, a metrologist?

Not me. I'm an engineer full-time, and a metalsmith part-time...

Pauline
25-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Hi Jo - welcome to the forum :~:

Josiejo
26-09-2011, 08:19 PM
Well, OK then.

I would like to point out that you brought this entirely on yourselves. Those of a weak disposition should look away now...

My area of speciality is rheometry. Rheology is the science of flow and deformation (think of it as a cross between fluid mechanics and solid Hookean type deformations). Rheology is relevant in just about every type of industry if you are interested in pumping or settling out or performance etc...
The sorts of questions that rheology answers are: Why do I have to hit the ketchup bottle for some to come out, and why does it then completely cover my chips? (a most important question)

I would call myself a Rheometrist, although I do go to scientific conferences and present papers and posters on spangly rheology methods. Although what I spend most of my time doing is (essentially) breaking prototypes, which I am exceedingly good at!
I contributed to 2 patents recently as well.

There is my trumpet, well and truly blown!

Hope you are still awake

Jo

teatowell
27-09-2011, 10:21 AM
Well Jo,
It all sounded fascinating but went entirely over my head, other than the fact that I want to know the answer to the ketchup question!

Welcome from another relative newbie.

Tanya

ps_bond
27-09-2011, 10:50 AM
Shear forces in action on Newtonian fluids? It's been a while since I had to use fluid mechanics & Young's modulus in anger...

Melanie De Castro Pugh
27-09-2011, 12:01 PM
The sorts of questions that rheology answers are: Why do I have to hit the ketchup bottle for some to come out, and why does it then completely cover my chips? (a most important question)

Welcome, Jo!

I don't often get to use the word "thixamatropic".... It's a property of ketchup whereby the more it is agitated, the runnier it gets. I think. Am I right?

I remembered it especially for the benefit of my eight year old son, who hasn't asked yet.

Kathryn Harrison
27-09-2011, 02:16 PM
That sounds like an awesome job! Nice to meet you :D

lorraineflee
27-09-2011, 03:46 PM
Hi Jo and welcome!!!

Josiejo
27-09-2011, 09:09 PM
Almost right Mel, ketchup is thixotropic (although I like thixamatropic better and will be pushing for a re-name) and you are right - that's one of the reasons why ketcup covers your chips when you hit it. Thixotropy is a time and shear effect, which means that when you whack it, it becomes runnier but then doesn't rebuild thickness instantly (like shower gel would - go on try to make it stay runny when you shake the bottle!) so you get a lot of ketchup.

so anyway, I sometimes make jewellery!

Jo

medusa
27-09-2011, 10:51 PM
if only they could make a ketchup version of silver... :)