PDA

View Full Version : "In a pickle"....help

sara
14-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I've managed to copper plate 3 days worth of silver work in my safety pickle. Does anyone know how to remove this. Yours in desperation. Sara

Kwant
14-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Reheat to oxidise that plated layer hoping it is thin, then use new clean pickle and continue from there. Alternatively it is a question of rubbing it all off with something like micromesh.

ps_bond
14-09-2011, 06:01 PM
Peroxide & pickle should strip it - http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/pickling-notes.htm (right at the bottom of the article).

caroleallen
14-09-2011, 06:20 PM
I found heating with a torch burned it off. It was quite spectacular as it produced beautiful green flames. I just kept heating until the flames stopped being green. I then pickled and polished it in the normal way.

mizgeorge
14-09-2011, 06:23 PM
I also would go with the heat and repickle option (certainly to start with).

You won't do that again!

sara
15-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Thanks to you all for your responses. This was my first ever question.....it's lovely to know that being a self-employed jeweller is not as isolating as I first thought.
I was reluctant to try the reheating and pickle option with the piece having over 80 soldered joints which could perhaps weaken them. so I've just tried the hydrogen peroxide (9%) mixed with an equal portion of pickle......complete success!
As if by magic that pesky flashing of copper simply vanished. So a huge thankyou for the advice.
Sara (very happy)

caroleallen
15-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Phew, that's a relief!

Dennis
15-09-2011, 05:58 PM
That sounds a rather special piece of work, Sara. I'm sure everyone would like to see it when it is finished. Dennis.