PDA

View Full Version : My new business cards...

The Bijou Dragon
16-08-2009, 12:59 PM
... featuring our new logo (thanks Nic).

I am really, really happy with these and they should get me noticed if nothing else.

Drumroll please....

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/th_S5007023.jpg (http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa209/Cyberpaddy66/Blogger/?action=view&current=S5007023.jpg)

Yes, they are see through and I made them myself :dance:

bustagasket
16-08-2009, 01:05 PM
Now thats a smart looking card. Not flashy or over decorated, Simply to the point and i love that dragon!

Di Sandland
16-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Madly drumrolling :X

mizgeorge
16-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Great logo design.

I'd do some plain card ones too - not just for the cost, but because it's useful to be able to write on the back, especially if you're not including contact details on the front!

They'd be nice scaled down for price tags too.

agent_44
16-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Ooh they look fab! Nice work :)

MuranoSilver
16-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Yay - they are wonderful!
Nic x

julie
16-08-2009, 03:58 PM
nice logo design :Y:

The Bijou Dragon
16-08-2009, 04:32 PM
Aww thanks, I'm really pleased with them, even made some earring hanging cards in the see through look... it's all coming together slowly :D

Great logo design.

I'd do some plain card ones too - not just for the cost, but because it's useful to be able to write on the back, especially if you're not including contact details on the front!

They'd be nice scaled down for price tags too.

I don't do phone numbers for a couple of reasons, I have in the past had a stalker... so I never give out phone numbers anymore unfortunately, we're moving in a few weeks and don't want to change the number and I don't have a mobile phone so for security we can't give out our landline number and we don't like spam callers!

It costs the same to do card or these ones so cost isn't a factor.

Price tags in an awesome idea though but I'd do those in plain white card I think!

I will be getting the logo printed on my next lot of boxes (when I find the money) from a brilliant little company I have had bookmarked for a while now.

I really needed to work on my image, packing and other guff like cards... we're getting there now though :)

I have always wanted this kind of card since I saw one online but they were a phenomenal cost to buy, somewhere in the region of £100 / 100 cards :-O

I figured that I can't print in colour so I would make it stand out in some other way!

... that and I spent faaaaar too much time looking at business card designs on the internet!

bustagasket
16-08-2009, 04:50 PM
... that and I spent faaaaar too much time looking at business card designs on the internet!

Well it was worth it :D

Solunar Silver Studio
16-08-2009, 04:58 PM
Now they are really neat!!

...watch out!!=:-O .Here come the questions!!!!!

Where did you get the plastic from.....what kind of printer have you got that can print on plastic....mine can barely manage on paper!!:'(....and how do you get the lovely round corners???? mmmmmmmm....very slick!!:Y:

mizgeorge
16-08-2009, 06:25 PM
...I don't do phone numbers for a couple of reasons, I have in the past had a stalker... so I never give out phone numbers anymore unfortunately, we're moving in a few weeks and don't want to change the number and I don't have a mobile phone so for security we can't give out our landline number and we don't like spam callers!

Do you not have phone and address info on your website? If you have a shopping cart, UK distance selling regulations require you to have these by law. I hate it, but I do know of a couple of people who've been in trouble over this.

On a non-legal note, I don't put a telephone number on business cards, but stamp it on the back of those I give to potential customers who may want to get back to me. It's certainly led to a fair number of commissions that I might not otherwise have had - I find a lot of people, especially older ones, are very suspicious about buying online and are far happier if they can ring up and sort things out that way.

Petal
16-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Its interesting that phone numbers and addresses are mentioned. I don't mind giving out my telephone number, but don't want my address on my card for security reasons. =:-O(I don't have a website, I just give out cards to people I meet and give them my address if they want to visit, once I've met them first). Having a website would be a big step for me and I am not sure I want that, yet.

How do others feel about not giving out an address vs security ?

Jules x

The Dragon
16-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Just love the cards, but then anything with a dragon on will get my vote.

Have you thought of getting the design mage up as a stamp? Maybe you could get some of those peelable shaped lables, stamp the logo on them and use them to secure tissue paper etc that you wrap your products in?

Like you say it will get you noticed.

Annie

The Cruel
19-08-2009, 09:50 AM
:~: I really like your business card design! :) I like the fact you have played around with the backing material to make them unique. The dragon looks impressive and the font suits the image. :Y:

AlexandraBuckle
19-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Do you not have phone and address info on your website? If you have a shopping cart, UK distance selling regulations require you to have these by law. I hate it, but I do know of a couple of people who've been in trouble over this.

That's intersting that you know of people who have got in trouble. I was thinking about taking my details off the website as I hate it having to be there and lately I've been wondering whether anyone would notice if I took it off...

As for telephone numbers, I would NEVER use my home number as I get SOOOO many sales calls to my mobile now from publishing that on the internet - its very frustrating!

And don't talk to me about spam!! (hundreds of emails a day!)

Oh and yes Bijou, your cards are really fab!

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Its interesting that phone numbers and addresses are mentioned. I don't mind giving out my telephone number, but don't want my address on my card for security reasons. =:-O(I don't have a website, I just give out cards to people I meet and give them my address if they want to visit, once I've met them first). Having a website would be a big step for me and I am not sure I want that, yet.

How do others feel about not giving out an address vs security ?

Jules x

Given that my Dad was a Policeman you can imagine how I feel about giving out my home address where I store all my jewellery can't you?!

Talk about making it easy for the burglars... and also living in London with the amount of gangs that go around bursting into houses with machetes AND the fact it happened twice in the next street to random people... I'd rather get in trouble with the law than give out my home address or phone number!

On the subject of the font, I chose it because the 'O's' look like Dragons eyes :)

Petal
19-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Given that my Dad was a Policeman you can imagine how I feel about giving out my home address where I store all my jewellery can't you?!

Talk about making it easy for the burglars... and also living in London with the amount of gangs that go around bursting into houses with machetes AND the fact it happened twice in the next street to random people... I'd rather get in trouble with the law than give out my home address or phone number!

On the subject of the font, I chose it because the 'O's' look like Dragons eyes :)

Hi Nic,

OMG I forgot to say how fantastic your new cards are. Now they are just SO unique and very professional - can't believe I didn't say anything sooner :">

I'm really sorry you were stalked Nic, that must have been a very difficult experience to have come through and you have a big [] and a :X from me. Its such a shame that these things happen.

The reason I posed the question on security was because there was a burglary a while ago of someone in Shrops. who'd got a lot of semi-precious jewellery/beads at home and it made me think (a lot), about advertising the fact that I make and sell jewellery and where I live, which is why I don't have my address on my cards. I had thought I was being a bit paranoid about giving out my personal info vs trying to sell my stuff, but am glad I haven't told too many people. I want to sell to people locally, but feel I have to be very careful who I advertise my stuff to.

Hugs from me Jules x

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I think if you work from home as many of us do it presents a HUGE security risk if we have to publish our address particularly if you're a young woman. It's not so bad if you have business premises as the risk of coming face to face with someone is lessened as they would probably rather rob you when there's no one there.

The same applies to people adding stickers to their car advertising their websites, it's so easy to follow one home and again represents a security risk! Also some of us are living in rented accommodation and running a business from them is a huge no-no.

Perhaps when I move to Cornwall I may feel differently about publishing my address but while I live in London it's not going to happen, law or no law! The couple around the corner from me were just watching TV one night when a gang broke in and robbed them almost severing the poor mans arm right off... what for? a few pounds they had lying around the house. There's no way in the world I will expose myself any my OH to that kind of risk.

My stalker has moved onto pastures new... or at least I haven't heard from him in a while anyway but in this day and age there's enough SPAM coming via e-mail, my phone is ex directory and my address is private on the electoral register along with being registered with the Mailing and Telephone preference service. Privacy, peace of mind and security mean alot to me especially as I have said before because my Dad was a Policeman and maybe I am more wary than others due to the fact I know the seedier side of life and don't blindly and naively do things others would do!

I have both a contact form and an e-mail contact along with the fact that if people buy anything they get a printed receipt which shows my address so anyone who needs to know, knows. Spammers and the more dubious can sod right off I'm afraid!

bustagasket
19-08-2009, 12:26 PM
God i am thick, never occured to me that someone would look at an address on a business card and think "oh she makes Jewellery she must have a stash of stuff at her place lets go look"

duly noted for when the times comes to advertise my stuff. Thank you hun :D

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Yes but you would have to already know about whois... most people don't!

People likely to go around burgling people with machetes aren't very likely to be over bright now are they?

I'll protect my security as much as I can and you can do whatever you like... I won't say I told you so when you've been burgled or robbed... I promise!

ps_bond
19-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Anyone that registers a website is allowing anyone in the world access to your personal details, full name and address.

...for business use. You can opt-out if it is for personal use.

Petal
19-08-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree with Bijou, [] better to be safe than sorry!

Julesx

AlexandraBuckle
19-08-2009, 03:01 PM
...for business use. You can opt-out if it is for personal use.

Yeah Peter is right - I just asked my web expert fiance as I was a bit concerned! :)

To be honest I've signed up to so many online businessy directories that I'd have real trouble deleting my details from them all if I ever wanted to!

It does scare me a bit that there is so much info about me on the web!

ps_bond
19-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Excuse the generalisation, I did mean that initially. I had no idea until I was stiffed by an internet retailer.

Sounds familiar. Of course, if you subsequently find that the internet retailer in question is not actually in the UK - despite having a .co.uk address - then the distance selling act has no relevance.

ps_bond
19-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Google Simply Electronics...

The Bijou Dragon
19-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Also, if your web site is hosted for you then it won't be your home address either.

As for the co.uk thing, there have been alot of Russian and Chinese scammers buying co.uk addresses lately so you have to be super careful when buying online.

I just like to feel safe in the fact that the every-day-joe on the street doesn't know everything about me and I am super careful after being stalked, the man terrified me.

Obviously he spent far too much time looking for every detail and there's no way you can stop these kinds of people but I have always lived by the better safe than sorry motto as I have enough problems in my ever day life to deal with without weirdos turning up on my doorstep :)

I also live above a flat which is regularly rented out to immigrants and the last lot were (and still are) far from savoury law abiding citizens and I really wouldn't feel safe them knowing I store jewellery up here and there's only a thin inner door between them and me as it's a converted house with a communal hallway especially on days like today when I am all alone and he is in downstairs :N: and sometimes there's 10 of them down there!

I'm not having-a-go (as people say) I just feel safer this way!

Di Sandland
19-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I have heard this, a few friends have been stung by chinese companies using .co.uk addys, so you do have to be careful online shopping.

My rule of thumb is use them if you trust them and always do a bit of research if you haven't heard of them before committing to a purchase.

Google is your friend. :Y:

I have been stung by this very recently indeed - on ebay. Absolutely no indication that it was a Hong Kong based company until I had paid, when I was told your gemstones will be despatched from Hong bloody Kong!

Luckily it was a very small order for some citrine but it could have been nasty.

SilverByRosie
19-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Those cards are brilliant! That font is just perfect with the logo :)

Ominicci
19-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Read through this thread earlier and as I was concentrating on the side issues discussed just realised I didn't post about the cards!

FAB logo and brilliant cards!!!

ps_bond
20-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Just noticed this. My reply was just to alert anyone to the lack of anonymity online and I personally think that my security is more protected than yours, for a start I do not have a business website so nobody can look up my address. I do have a picture online but nobody knows my address. I do not give out my address and if I did have a website it would not be for commercial purposes, so I could hide my address.

It's a start, but there are very few people who are truly anonymous online. It's all about establishing links.

I am also intelligent enough to realise that the criminal element aren't as dumb as you seem to think, desperate, yes and their actions definitely leave a lot to be desired.

As a sweeping generalisation, the more intelligent criminals are usually going to do a risk/benefit analysis - so will tend to go for higher value targets; the less so tend to be more opportunistic and resort to disproportionate levels of violence for the end gain. Most people in the UK aren't equipped (mentally primarily) to face that sort of thing, so are cowed by it.

Reading the above just made you come across as incredibly rude.

...and this is the biggest problem with the net as a whole. There's no context at all (probably best to keep me off the subject of context in communication when applied to different societies!) and therefore it is up to the reader to infer context - which may or may not have been there in the first place. But in this case, it's not for me to infer :D

(and yes, smilies can be used for context or merely a linguistic crutch!)

corrinasmith
24-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I love them! Logo is good! How did you make them???? Do they price cheaper than Moo cards?
Kind regards
Corrina