PDA

View Full Version : The Problem Of The Needles,

Dennis
25-07-2011, 05:59 AM
When I ordered my mini barreler, I also bought 750 g. of mixed shot from Sutton tools, Which seemed the cheapest option at the time. It arrived in three separate bags and keen to begin, I blithely mixed them together.

As mentioned by other members in the past, my test pieces, tumbled for about two hours, came out covered in tiny but quite deep pin marks. This was less so on round and sloping surfaces, but very pronounced on the flat parts.

In the interests of research I then picked out all the needles, which were the obvious culprits. They were quite roughly cut with sharp points and burred edges. Tumbling them with pebbles for hours and hours did reduce the burrs, but still left sharp points, so finally I ground each end with a mounted stone on my flex-shaft until I had 75g done.

Adding these treated needles to 400g of mixed balls and satellites, gave a much reduced proportion of needles ( Approx.16% instead of the previous 33%) And left a lighter texture, which was more easily removed with radial wheels or micro mesh.

Conclusions:
Trimming the needles and/or reducing their proportion will give a more superficial texture, which is not unattractive and can more easily be removed from selected parts of your work.
Alternatively, as suggested by Leslie, keep a separate cache of shot, free of needles when a smoother effect is needed.

Below:
Sorting Shot On A Tea Tray
The Pin Point Texture
The offending Needles
Final Texture And Texture Removed.

mizgeorge
25-07-2011, 08:44 AM
I've yet to see a decent bag of mixed shot offered for sale in the UK. The needles are always sharp, and many mixes are far too large for jewellery use, and seem to contain mainly balls, rather than a good mix of shapes.

My favourite mix, by far, is this one http://www.jatayu.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=TPO-0603-a - it's also significantly cheaper than anything here. As it comes in below the customs limit for VAT (until the autumn anyway), it arrives quickly as well.

ps_bond
25-07-2011, 08:45 AM
As it comes in below the customs limit for VAT (until the autumn anyway)...

They're not finally increasing the threshold, are they? Dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century?

Rob Taylor
25-07-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi

Our mixed is shot certainly has more rounded pieces than the picture on the Jatayu site, would others contributors also like us to review the spec of this product?

Out of interest the Jatayu product is considerably dearer than us as it's priced in pounds and not kilos as we sell it (and often with freepost!)

regards

Rob

I've yet to see a decent bag of mixed shot offered for sale in the UK. The needles are always sharp, and many mixes are far too large for jewellery use, and seem to contain mainly balls, rather than a good mix of shapes.

My favourite mix, by far, is this one http://www.jatayu.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=J&Product_Code=TPO-0603-a - it's also significantly cheaper than anything here. As it comes in below the customs limit for VAT (until the autumn anyway), it arrives quickly as well.

mizgeorge
25-07-2011, 12:01 PM
They're not finally increasing the threshold, are they? Dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century?

Sadly not Peter. I understand they're actually reducing it from £18 to £15.

Hi

Our mixed is shot certainly has more rounded pieces than the picture on the Jatayu site, would others contributors also like us to review the spec of this product?

Out of interest the Jatayu product is considerably dearer than us as it's priced in pounds and not kilos as we sell it (and often with freepost!)

regards

Rob

That's interesting Rob. The Jatayu stainless steel shot is slightly under $US 20 per pound. Yours is almost £90 for a kilo. Not quite sure how you make that cheaper?

Dennis
25-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Hi Rob,

Jatayu are temporarily out of stock, so here is your chance to offer something better that will do chain as well as flat surfaces without unwanted pin pricks. As for the price, you will note that if a barrel will only accommodate 500g it is no good being offered a kilo.

By the way, did you ever follow up my suggestion of Smiths for Brass?

Regards, Dennis.

ps_bond
25-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Ah, would that be to nobble the Channel Island vendors? I can see both sides, but ultimately it is the consumer who gets shafted for it.
There *was* supposed to be an increase in that level in line with the other EU countries.

Rob Taylor
25-07-2011, 02:49 PM

That's interesting Rob. The Jatayu stainless steel shot is slightly under $US 20 per pound. Yours is almost £90 for a kilo. Not quite sure how you make that cheaper?

$19.50 per pound times 2.2 equals $42.90 converts to £26.36 plus tax plus international shipping, Cookson charges £26.40 including VAT plus £5.85 p&p (or often freepost), not sure where the £90 comes in

rgds Rob

Rob Taylor
25-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Hi Rob,

Jatayu are temporarily out of stock, so here is your chance to offer something better that will do chain as well as flat surfaces without unwanted pin pricks. As for the price, you will note that if a barrel will only accommodate 500g it is no good being offered a kilo.

By the way, did you ever follow up my suggestion of Smiths for Brass?

Regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis

I'm really sorry I don't recollect this at all, please remind me what this was about

rgds

Rob

mizgeorge
25-07-2011, 06:04 PM
$19.50 per pound times 2.2 equals $42.90 converts to £26.36 plus tax plus international shipping, Cookson charges £26.40 including VAT plus £5.85 p&p (or often freepost), not sure where the £90 comes in

rgds Rob

I assume you're referring to 998 003 then. Which unfortunately is not stainless.

The comparable product is 998 003B at £88.50. Which would be US$69 for 1lb - more than double the price, even including shipping, from the US.

As an aside, 1lb is just the right amount for a single barrel.

mizgeorge
25-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Ah, would that be to nobble the Channel Island vendors? I can see both sides, but ultimately it is the consumer who gets shafted for it.
There *was* supposed to be an increase in that level in line with the other EU countries.

I actually think it's to stop us taking advantage of cheaper overseas prices and importing goods rather than buying them here. The additional 60p of revenue, plus that on all the items which will additionally fall under the threshold will presumably go a little way to filling one of the holes in one of the coffers....

ps_bond
25-07-2011, 09:29 PM
I actually think it's to stop us taking advantage of cheaper overseas prices and importing goods rather than buying them here. The additional 60p of revenue, plus that on all the items which will additionally fall under the threshold will presumably go a little way to filling one of the holes in one of the coffers....

Oh, definitely - I was thinking this was in response to the tax avoidance (not evasion - it's legal) that a number of UK-based vendors have complained about, so that they get a level playing field to sell to and we no longer get the opportunity to get CDs & DVDs at more reasonable prices.