PDA

View Full Version : Moderating rules...

Joe
19-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Can someone clarify why some of our posts are hanging waiting for moderators? I notice that two of our most valuable contributors (Dennis & James) have had posts blocked pending approval?

It would be most disappointing if posting links to suppliers other than Cookson is the cause. I am very happy with the excellent service offered by our hosts but they are a long way from stocking more than 30% of the goods necessary for general jewellery making.

ps_bond
20-07-2011, 06:02 AM
Nothing that nefarious Joe - it's an automatic thing targetting links rather than suppliers. It just seems to be a little over-enthusiastic at the moment...

I've not seen *all* that many legit posts hit, but it's blooming annoying when it is hitting respected contributors. On the flipside, it did get a couple of posts from a spammer a couple of days ago.

ps_bond
20-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Just had another thought - if it *were* a nefarious scheme, it wouldn't be much good given I don't know about it and blithely authorise posts from people I recognise (having checked out the links, naturally). :D

Joe
20-07-2011, 09:13 PM
So... couldn't a php ace tinker a little with the criteria, perhaps based on number of posts?

ps_bond
21-07-2011, 06:15 AM
I'll have a look, but as a mere mod I can't access it. I'm not sure how configurable it is yet - any mods to the code will probably get hit by the next patch. TBH, I'm not worried by the time it takes for me to authorise posts, it's far from onerous; however, if people are significantly offended by the actions of a twitchy subroutine I shall see what can be done.

ps_bond
21-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Right - Dave's got to the bottom of it; the anti-spam filter was checking all posts, rather than just those of new posters; that's been changed, so *hopefully* it shouldn't play silly beggars again.

rashi
30-07-2013, 08:19 AM
why we have to wait for post our views after activation of account.

Dennis
30-07-2013, 09:22 AM
This forum is fortunate in having very little spam, partly due to the rules and also the diligence of our moderators. Once a spammer gets going they can for their own perverse amusement plaster forums with rubbish.

The short answer is security. Dennis.

ps_bond
30-07-2013, 05:18 PM
It's also helped immensely by the forum members using the "Report post" button - there are some days where I'm beaten to spotting spammers :)

rashi
31-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Thank you sir. Spammers always make us in trouble.

ps_bond
01-08-2013, 09:47 PM
And of course, one of the easy ways to identify spammers is they start out by posting inane zero-content messages attached to old threads. Geographical location is usually another giveaway and you'd be amazed at how many of your countrymen have turned out to be only interested in trying to link to badly written websites advertising cheap crap.

This is the only warning.

Dennis
02-08-2013, 08:33 AM
Maybe they're just practicing their rather pathetic English. I have to confess that I've never seen the Report Post Button. Could it be that like those decimal points, mine's dropped off?

ps_bond
02-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Just underneath the text of the post on the left, there is (or should be!) a little black triangle with an exclamation point in it. If that's clicked on, all the mods & admins get an email telling them about the post.

I've taken the decision that Rashi probably wasn't here to discuss jewellery making, based on the content of the posts.

Ebo Von Gaz
25-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi, my posts were uploading fine yesterday but seem to be moderated today, I've not posted anything contentious or even any links- any idea why this might be happening and if there'e anything I can do about it?

ps_bond
25-02-2014, 02:47 PM
Apologies for that - it's not me, honest! I'll manually approve them and see if that settles the system back down.

Ebo Von Gaz
25-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Thanks for that. Sounds like you're dealing with an unruly horse not a forum!

ps_bond
25-02-2014, 04:46 PM
I shall see if any of the same tricks work - although I'm not sure *how* I'd feed the forum sweets?

Tabby66
25-02-2014, 09:30 PM
This is the only warning.

:jedi::ta:

silverlining
06-05-2016, 10:46 AM
LMAO perfect thread to join in when clearly just posting stupid replies to get your post count up.

What are you intending on spamming us with?