PDA

View Full Version : Using Tin in jewellery designs

Neve
12-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Hello! I have found some really lovely patterned tins that I thought would be great to cut and finish and use as little charms/pendants/anything really! I am a bit worried about it being too sharp to wear though, as the tin is thin. I have cut out a shape and filed it, had nightmare visions of the recipient cutting themselves, so burnished it! It isn't overly sharp enough to cut youm but it still concerns me. Does anybody have any advice please :)?

Dennis
12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
Hi Neve,
The best way to finish the edges of thin metal is with rubber wheels for flex shaft. Cooksons 977 020 coarse and 977 040 medium fine would do the job. You also need some 999AET screw mandrels to mount them on. You will soon learn how best to apply them so that the metal does not cut into them and also to run them quite slowly. They get mis-shapen and rapidly get smaller, but can be re-shaped by running them against an old coarse file or a diamond burr. When one gets small, reserve it for tricky areas.

Very thin metal can remain sharp even if not jagged but you will have to be the judge of that. Hoping you will let us see some of your work, Kind regards, Dennis.

Neve
05-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Sorry for the delay, thanks Dennis for your help x