PDA

View Full Version : Is this design dangerous??

Solunar Silver Studio
15-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Hi everybody....I realise I am calling into a bit of a void here as there are only 3 of us on line - Hi Su, Julie:~: - but I've got a question...

I've just been asked to make one of my chains as a lariat style - with a large decorative ring to go centre front and the chain end to go through this ring and finish with a silver heart shape. I've never done a lariat before and what I don't understand is how you wear something like this without getting throttled (choke chain style!!).:eek: Do you put a sort of 'stop' in the chain which prevents the ring sliding up towards your neck? Or do you just leave it in the lap of the gods as to whether you survive wearing this rather dodgy bit of jewellery?? I'd feel more than a bit uncomfortable selling something that I viewed as potentially dangerous!!

I don't have to deliver it until the last week in August so I can wait a while for your suggestions and experiences! Do any of you sell this style routinely? (sorry - not a good word for artisan jewellers...but you know what I mean!!) Has anyone had a lucky escape??!!=:-O.

Do any of you have any interesting experiences with 'iffy' or downright dangerous designs??

Hope you are having a nice weekend all you absentee forum folk!!:D

bustagasket
15-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Morning Barbara sorry but you no me, no experience yet, hope julie can help, or someone else logs in to help ya :D

Solunar Silver Studio
15-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks Su.......I really could poke you in the eye though!!:(| All of us on here have limited experience...yes, hard to believe - but even Peter and Nic have little, itty, bitty, incy, wincy, tiny, micro size gaps in their knowledge.... and you know a lot more than you let on!! There is more to life than jewellery don't forget ...don't do yourself down!!

Right - I'm going to abandon you now.....lots to do.....I'm trying to do a wrapped semi-precious gemstone bead bracelet range, but I am hopeless at wrapping....talk about all fingers and thumbs!! The theory behind doing a range is that I am forcing myself to get the technique right. I'm currently working on 30 beads per bracelet....but since this lariat commission apperaed on the horizon I had an idea to do them with a 'waterfall' of beads on the end...so I might continue on with 'lariat style' beaded chains...if I can be convinced that they are safe!!

And I've almost run out of ball headpins...so that is my first task today! I'm off to my 'studio' to do the deed!!

Have a good day!![]

MuranoSilver
15-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Barbara
I know what you mean I dont get on with those slidy style lariats at all
but some folk love them! If the chain was fairly knobbly it reduces "slide"
nicx

mizgeorge
15-08-2009, 08:04 AM
I make quite a lot of lariats in maille, and there are a few options. You can add some form of stop, but this makes it harder to wear multiple lengths. Alternatively, you can add a hidden clasp behind the main decorative ring (a hook works fine) to 'catch' the chain with. Or just make it a feature!

Alternatively, build in a break point (open jump ring) at the point where it would sit at the back of the neck.

I also worried about this problem.

Solunar Silver Studio
15-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Thanks for your replies ladies! And you have given me some food for thought George...I'd better get a pencil out and start doodling some 'anchoring' ideas! I wonder if you could get 'done' for supplying if someone got hurt with a lariat??:eek:

Petal
15-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi ladies,:~:

I'd love to be able to help you Barbara, but having Googled and 'netted' since your post, I've no more info - sorry ! Posing the question about someone getting 'done' for being hurt by jewellery, are you a member of the NMTF? I think they might cover that? I'll find out for you next week (by which time you'll have probably got the answer from the forum!:Y:)... as I'm becomming a member. (I haven't been posting much lately, as I'm busy busy preparing for my first fair in a few weeks. ) I have made my first wire wrapped dropper though and really pleased with the results. :) OOps a bit off topic there!

This is what my OH and I have been doing in the evenings ...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=151

Lets hope the weather shines for us all today!

:X
Jules x

julie
15-08-2009, 10:49 AM
morning Barbara :~: sorry i popped on this morning before going into town so i missed this thread ...i agree with a fancy clasp to hold in place :Y:

caroleallen
15-08-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi, I don't make lariats but I have a friend who does (Google Hastha Kala) and she uses snake chain with no stops or clasps. I've seen her wearing hers a lot and it doesn't seem to move. Hope that helps.

Di Sandland
15-08-2009, 02:08 PM
This is what my OH and I have been doing in the evenings ...

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=34&pictureid=151

Lets hope the weather shines for us all today!

:X
Jules x

Bishop of Llandaff?

ben b
15-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Solunar Silver Studio
16-08-2009, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all your imput guys... As usual no consensus of opinion:rolleyes:... but plenty of food for thought!!
The chain I am going to use Ben is made from 0.9mm fine silver wire with all the links fused....and although it is fine silver I wouldn't fancy my chances!! I think I would break before it does!!
This is a photo of a bracelet I took some time ago that used the same chain design...

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss23/solunarsilverstudio/recentchain.jpg

Perhaps I am being a bit over cautious though!! ...but I like to err on the side of caution (that's what comes of being drilled in H&S and risk assessment over the years!!) I think I will just keep doodling ideas for a design that I feel more comfortable with!! ....but I am still open for any more ideas!!! So keep 'em coming!!:Y:

Petal
16-08-2009, 08:50 AM
:~:Yes, it is Bishop of Landaff and one of our favourites.! lovely

off to do some more gardening today, as we've got a lot of weeds

speak to you all tomorrow. - or later on

Love
Jules

mizgeorge
16-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Barbara, having now seen the picture, I'd say that has plenty of natural stops, and would sit just fine provided the end accent piece isn't too heavy. You could easily add a catch (perhaps a little s hook?) at the big front ring if you wanted, or put an open jump ring in at the back (sterling if necessary!).

It's a very pretty chain :)