PDA

View Full Version : Blank sterling silver round discs and stamping

ellens
29-06-2011, 09:24 PM
I was wondering if anyone could help me at all? I am hoping to make some stamped discs and hence am after a supplier for the above, think i will need round blank discs (approx 2cm in width) and preferably with a precut hole! Also i would like to stamp these with an informal lettering style, all the ones i have are very standard uppercase fonts (bit dull looking). There are some companies in the US where you can get your own letter stamping set produced, is there such a thing in the UK?

medusa
29-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Hi ellens,

I think you can get plain round discs from cooksons, and I know Rashbels sell them. Not seen any with a hole in them but you can easily make your own hole using a steel pin.

The stamps over here are pretty basic. I thin I saw some more fancy ones on a beading forum and there is someone on etsy who sells some. getting your own set made up is pretty pricey. Like £200+

caroleallen
30-06-2011, 08:31 AM
I don't know about the letter stamps but you can easily cut your own discs with a disc cutter.

Dennis
30-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Rio Grande have silver tags with holes ready made,http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/SearchPage.aspx?page=GRID&free_text=silver%20disks .
They are a pleasure to deal with and you might also browse their stamps. Dennis.

medusa
07-07-2011, 07:08 PM
are rio grande ok for sending stuff to the uk or are they very pricey in terms of postage?

lilia
07-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Rio is brilliant sending stuff to the UK. They charge approx $40 to send UPS (takes only approx 2 days!) or something like $38 for USPS (takes about 3 weeks :-( .

Dennis
07-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Yes, but unless you are in a tearing hurry, ask them to send by US mail. It takes about two weeks, but is miles cheaper. Yesterday I found by accident that Palmer Metals also have a few dog tags here http://www.palmermetals.co.uk/shop/sterling-silver-findings.html . They are near the bottom of the page. Hope this helps, Dennis.

Dennis
07-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Are you referrig to the same order lilia? Does not seem right to me. Yesterday I did discover a UK company that had a few dog tags, but on reflection they are too puny for stamping.

My previous post giving a URL for this is awaiting consent by a moderator, but I trust will now be deleted.

lilia
08-07-2011, 07:10 AM
HI Dennis, I usually ask them how much it would be to send by UPS and USPS. In the last two orders they quoted me very similar shipping charges (UPS around $40 and USPS around $36-38). With the last order, I asked them to send the package by USPS, as I didn't need it in a hurry and it was a couple of $$ cheaper (and I was secretly hoping it would go through the customs without being noticed). So the package took almost 3 weeks to arrive and it did get caught by the customs :-(.

lilia
08-07-2011, 07:13 AM
With the tags, you probably better off buying a disc cutter, as you can stamp out your own discs of various diameters. It doesn't take much time to drill a small hole or you can buy some hole punching pliers - this way you can say that even the tag is handmade :-)

medusa
08-07-2011, 11:44 PM
the palmers ones aren't dog tags. they are tiny things and no use for anything other than a 925.

Dennis
09-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I hoped I had deleted that Liz, as you will see by my follow-on post. That said it rather depends on the size of your dog. Regards, Dennis.

medusa
10-07-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm old and slow and missed the connection. how small do they make dogs these days?

I've resolved to buy a disc cutter because I am enjoying playing around with blank spaces and I'm sure it must be cheaper to bash your own out?

Dennis
11-07-2011, 04:42 AM
I've resolved to buy a disc cutter because I am enjoying playing around with blank spaces and I'm sure it must be cheaper to bash your own out?

That very much depends on how many disks you envisage cutting and how large. Elens who started this thread just wanted them ready with a hole or jump ring. That was the snag, because otherwise plain disks are freely available.

The common or garden disk cutter, such as Cookson 999-772 costs around £60 with VAT and goes up to 15mm. However, even with a large hammer you will struggle to mass produce that size of disk out of say 0.8mm sterling in any quantity. Many of the others available here prove to be a waste of money from the start.

The king of disk cutters is the Swanstrom, mainly because the punches have an oblique cutting edge and it can also make washers using an add-on. You are then talking about an import of $300-$400. There are several threads about this on the forum. You will find that there is still a learning curve to using it successfully.

The upshot is that if I want a large disk I use a circle template and a saw. Dennis.

medusa
11-07-2011, 12:04 PM
hmmm.... you are swaying me to the cheaper option! I suppose it all depends on how popular my tags prove to be and the comparison of time spent cutting and money spent buying ready cut. The ready cut ones do make life simpler!