PDA

View Full Version : finishing question redux

medusa
22-06-2011, 11:51 PM
OK, so I;m making a bangle from D shaped 1 cm wide silver 'wire'. except it's more of a bar. I got it to solder together okish, but it's not perfectly round and it had slight curvy bits where I've been bashing it. It's also made with the curved surface innermost.

What level of perfect finish do you think is necessary? personally I don't mind it's not perfectly round and there are slight undulations, but I don't know what people buying a handmade bangle would expect.

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. It's in the acid at the moment.

ps_bond
23-06-2011, 08:33 AM
That has to be down to your personal taste, I think - unless you've discussed with a client precisely what they're expecting, you're the only benchmark to go by.

Dennis
23-06-2011, 11:03 AM
As Peter says Liz, it is up to your clients expectations and ultimately what they will pay for. What follows is my personal view end not in any way meant to be critical of you.

1. The shape can be organic, as in plants; otherwise it helps if irregularities are pleasing and regular, not just arbitrary. Even apparently random features have to be laid out with skill so as to appeal to the eye.

2. Finishes may start accidentally, but then need to be carried through with a purpose. For example: brushed, hammered, scored, punched etc. However there could be a contrast between inside and outside, or the edges could be burnished.

3. In my book bangles should be round or oval until the client bends them. Wooden bangle mandrels are not very expensive and have served me well.

Regards, Dennis.

Tabby66
23-06-2011, 08:14 PM
Hi Liz,

I'm with Dennis on this one. I think the shape of the bangle, internally needs to be round or oval, however on the horizontal (if that makes sense) wonkiness / uneveness / shape (if pleasing to the eye of the beholder!), is not necessarily an issue and can add to a piece!! Again, just my thoughts, hope they help a little :-)

Tabby

caroleallen
23-06-2011, 09:34 PM
If you haven't got a mandrel Liz, you're very welcome to come and have a bash on mine. I've also got a flatting press which does what it says on the tin.

medusa
23-06-2011, 10:52 PM
well it is fairly round. I bought a baseball bat to use as a mandrel and it worked pretty well. I think it's mostly where it joins, that it's less than perfect. Not at first glance, but on close inspection. It's got acid resist on it or I'd post a pic. would have done earlier but I'm still marking college work :(

What does a flattening press do Carole? I should run round to you in my lunch break if I get one!

medusa
27-06-2011, 05:30 PM
OK, got some pics now. rather depressingly, as well as the slight unevenness, you can now see the solder line on the inside of the bangle. The outside of the bangle is textured and I think that is hiding the join.

I now have it looking crap in two ways. :(

I apologise for the photo quality, I had to use my laptop camera. I think you can see the join though.

I'm wondering if I should saw through the join with a junior hacksaw. Would that get rid of the existing solder and make a perfectly aligned cut both sides so I could re-solder it?

Dennis
27-06-2011, 06:24 PM
It does not look too bad in the photo, and I don't really see why you should cut through it Liz. Can’t you just file it a little more and re-finish?
A hack saw will make a nasty jagged mess so if you must do it, use a jeweller’s saw to make two cuts very close together in this order:

1. Cut almost through but not quite.
2. Make the second cut close, parallel and right through.
3. Complete cut one. That way you have maximum control over what you remove.

Dennis.

medusa
27-06-2011, 06:32 PM
well it's so darn shiny is why! If I file it more then the furrow will deepen. Im adding another pic of the other side so you can see the uneveness of the join better. half the problem is that the wire I got had been cut with a snip or something so the edge wasn't true. Rather than saw off half a centimeter so it was true, I tried to skimp by filing it. The join was consequently not great.

Plus trying to hammer this stuff into shape and not bash the edges in was a challenge. Still, live and learn! I think I will have a go at cutting and resoldering but using a jewellers saw as you suggest.