PDA

View Full Version : Sweetness and Light

Dennis
20-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Our class project this term was to make a piece of jewellery on the theme ’Sweetness and Light’.

As a boy I could never pass an ash hedge without cutting a stout twig just below the node and turning it into a whistle. With my trusted pen knife I would whittle the mouth piece, make a notch and then, this was the best part, lick it and suck it until the bark softened. Then I would tap the bark all over until it loosened , cut through it at the base and gently remove it. When the stem was hollowed sufficiently, the bark could be replaced and there was a whistle.

With this in mind I decided to make a silver pendant of a similar design using some 5.50 o/s diameter tubing. The notch was easy and before shaping the mouthpiece it was closed with a well-fitting silver wire that had a flat filed on the top to admit air. The far end was detailed with a shallow anticlastic ring.

So far so good, but I could not get any sound out of it with the far end either closed or left open . Before giving up I experimented by narrowing the end with more tubing and finally by inserting a small screwdriver. This at last produced quite a shrill note, so I replaced it with a short wedge-shaped wire, soldered in. The twisted wire ring was added for decoration.

Whether this has fulfilled the remit of Sweetness and Light, I can’t be sure, But it does have a high pitched silvery tone, rather like a dog whistle, so when completing the necklace I raided my scrap pot to carve a little dog for the end of the extension chain . Whistle pendants might be all the rage this year.

kimma
20-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Dennis, this ia a beautiful piece. I really think you could start a new trend here, talking as a dog owner myself. I love the dog you have carved too, you are so clever.

Kim x

Patstone
20-06-2011, 02:57 PM
Gosh what a clever chappie you are, what a beautiful piece of work, also a functional one too as it works. Like Kim I am also a dog owner, I have a Black Lab aged 2 and a Border Terror (no the spelling is correct) aged 14 months. The Lab is fine, but the little one is a pest, she is a real character but a bit of a challenge as you have to be one step ahead all the time. A silver whistle would definately be the envy of all the dog walkers that I know.

medusa
20-06-2011, 02:57 PM
oooh nice! how did you carve the dog? out of wax and then cast or directly from the metal?

Dennis
20-06-2011, 07:18 PM
How did you carve the dog? out of wax and then cast or directly from the metal?

I carved a right and left image and then soldered them together. The jump ring, collar and ears were added last. Dennis.

silver70
20-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Gorgeous gorgeous work Dennis! You are an inspiration.

Lesley C
21-06-2011, 07:29 AM
Wow, the dog is amazing =D>

Lesley

snow_imp
21-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Wow - I love this!

Tabby66
21-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Lovely Dennis. Very interesting to hear how you made it whistle!!