PDA

View Full Version : A "How to" for cutting templates.

Kwant
15-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Perhaps not the thing for the experts but for amateurs like me this has proved very useful. I find it difficult scribing on to little bits of silver to position faceted stones so I have come up with this way, maybe not new to you but I hit on the idea on my own and have not seen it elsewhere so I thought I would share it with other folks in an illustrated "How to".

http://kwantessentials.blogspot.com/

medusa
15-06-2011, 06:44 PM
that made my head hurt, but I appreciated the link to the reticulation how to!

Kwant
15-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Lol that is what my other half said when he looked at it, though he did say it was probably different if you were actually doing it at the same time, what does he know he is a pianist :0)

Dennis
15-06-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm a low tech sort of person, so I'm afraid I would just turn the stone upside down on my photocopier backed with contrasting paper. Then I would paste the resulting image onto the metal with pritt and use it as a template. If I am feeling fussy I also scribe the image onto the metal by simply cutting through the glued paper with a new sharp craft blade.

Just another way to skin a rabbit, I suppose, Dennis.

ps_bond
16-06-2011, 08:34 AM
For a symmetric stone, I put it on the metal upside-down, put a drop of superglue at the edge of the stone (it gets wicked under) and when I'm absolutely sure it is in the right place, spray it with superglue activator. Scribe around the stone, then dissolve the glue off with acetone.

Another "I can't believe it's not rabbit" method.

Kwant
27-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Lol, glue never even occurred to me. Well I will try the glue route too now I know.