PDA

View Full Version : balling 2mm silver wire

medusa
15-06-2011, 05:56 PM
is it possible? I've tried and tried and the best I can manage is a slightly swollen lump on the end. I've also tried melting a lump of silver so it's a ball and soldering the wire on. failed and also tried sticking the wire into the molten ball of silver, also failed. There must be a way to get a silver blob on the end of 2mm?

mizgeorge
15-06-2011, 07:09 PM
I can ball sterling with no problems, but it inevitably pits. I tend to make the balls separately and solder them on - the finish is much better that way.

Dennis
15-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Once you have a satisfactory ball, as George suggests, rest it in a dimple made in your block with a hand held burr to keep it still. Melt a little solder onto the end of your wire, then re-flux both and hold the wire down on your ball with tweezers. Heat again and the two should connect.

I think the main problem is simply keeping the two in contact while soldering. Regards, Dennis.

medusa
15-06-2011, 11:03 PM
OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.

Dennis
16-06-2011, 09:54 AM
OK, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. I think half my problem is my eyes. I need to get them tested I think.

Hi Liz,

Your life will be turned around if you get a headband magnifyer. They need not be expensive, or have built in lights, which can be a nuisance. I am thinking of something like this http://www.follymodels.co.uk/expo-73841-headband-magnifier-with-2-lenses-196-p.asp, with both lenses used together. They can be worn with or without glasses.

The only thing to watch is not to wipe them with a finger or a cloth, as grit will scratch them. Rather use detergent and a soft painbrush with running water.

Dennis.

medusa
16-06-2011, 07:48 PM
I totally need something like that (OMG! I mean! I've totally turned into an american teenager!). I sometime use one of those clip-on-the-work-surface magnifies and they make me feel a bit seasick, but my eyes have got bad and I DO need a new script for specs.

I only just got back from work and am too knackered to work tonight. may have to be the weekend if I get my marking out of the way. This is a long overdue project.

medusa
21-06-2011, 07:59 PM
well I did it. took me ages to get a ball the right size and it's not properly round but it is well and truly securely fixed onto the silver wire!

Dennis
21-06-2011, 08:55 PM
well I did it. took me ages to get a ball the right size and it's not properly round but it is well and truly securely fixed onto the silver wire!
Well done Liz, but you have not told us what you are making yet. I was thinking, would one hole silver balls do, or are they too fragile for your purpose? The late Blundells used to sell heavy duty ones, but I don't know whether anyone does now. Dennis.

Joe
21-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I have a small reel of 1mm argentium just for balling (current use is for making my cupid's arrows). Argex (http://www.argex.co.uk)is a lovely supplier and the new stuff I've received is excellent.

Listen-up Cookies - you need to stock something suitable for balling and that is not your Reflections!

lilia
22-06-2011, 05:52 AM
Message removed

lilia
22-06-2011, 05:53 AM
There shouldn't be any poblems balling up Reflections, just need a very hot flame and a bit of flux.:)

Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with their Argentium?

Goldsmith
22-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Hi Liz,
A little tip re eyesight problems, when I get my eyes tested I go to Specsavers when they are offering two pairs of specs for the price of one. I get my usual readers and then for the free set I get a pair of magnifier or close focus specs which are 5X mag and made to my prescription also. I use these close focus specs most of the time at the bench and when I want ultra close vision I add my Optiviser.
As to soldering balls onto 2mm. wire, take your time, follow the earlier tips given, try using a gentle flame rather than a fierce hot one, bring the metals up to the solder melt point slowly and it will run well. Bad joints are usually achieved by melting the solder before the object metals are at the same temperature as the melting solder.
I hope this makes sense.
James

Joe
22-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Joe, Do you know if Argex fixed the problems with the Argentium?

To be honest I didn't get any of the bad stuff that people complained of, I use so little of it. The reel that came last week seems to behave like the old stuff... might be worth asking for a proof sample if you've had a bad time with it.

medusa
22-06-2011, 09:42 PM
Well done Liz, but you have not told us what you are making yet. I was thinking, would one hole silver balls do, or are they too fragile for your purpose? The late Blundells used to sell heavy duty ones, but I don't know whether anyone does now. Dennis.pic is here... I had a bit of a look for silver balls but couldn't find any.

I have a small reel of 1mm argentium just for balling (current use is for making my cupid's arrows). Argex (http://www.argex.co.uk)is a lovely supplier and the new stuff I've received is excellent.

Listen-up Cookies - you need to stock something suitable for balling and that is not your Reflections!
I need to ball 2mm though.... I'd love to see your arrows!

Hi Liz,
A little tip re eyesight problems, when I get my eyes tested I go to Specsavers when they are offering two pairs of specs for the price of one. I get my usual readers and then for the free set I get a pair of magnifier or close focus specs which are 5X mag and made to my prescription also. I use these close focus specs most of the time at the bench and when I want ultra close vision I add my Optiviser.
As to soldering balls onto 2mm. wire, take your time, follow the earlier tips given, try using a gentle flame rather than a fierce hot one, bring the metals up to the solder melt point slowly and it will run well. Bad joints are usually achieved by melting the solder before the object metals are at the same temperature as the melting solder.
I hope this makes sense.
James

OK, well I will try that next time. I used quite a hot flame the fist couple of times I tried to solder. I am getting better!

the glasses idea is brilliant. I will get them to do me a 5x pair this summer when I finally get chance to go in.

Dennis
23-06-2011, 10:34 AM
What is it, a clothes hook for a Cornish pisky? This firm Cooksons has varios silver beads under findings, including NVQ T37-75 solid cast balls and cheaper NVQ 101X-104X semi solid. Also one hole beads. Well, someone owes me a fiver here. Dennis.

medusa
23-06-2011, 10:48 PM
something like that.

Thanks for the info on the beads, but I suspect this is a one off.