PDA

View Full Version : Nitric Acid

HMPjewellery
13-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Does any know where:(| would be best to get nitric acid from?

Dennis
14-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Hi Hannah,
Walshes sell it. http://www.hswalsh.com/search.aspx?s1=Nitric&s2=Acid&s3=&f=1&l=10

ps_bond
14-06-2011, 08:31 AM
But only if you collect it yourself AIUI?

HMPjewellery
14-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks guys.... is anything else suitable for acid etching...could a use pickle for example?

ps_bond
14-06-2011, 10:15 AM
I've had a couple of looks at the nitric acid pH down solutions sold by some of the hydroponics lot; another alternative might be electroetching - if it's silver, then silver nitrate is relatively easily available.

I think it boils down to what you want to etch?
(but don't boil it, acid fumes everywhere...)

medusa
14-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I can't remember where I get mine from, I'll have to look, but i did get it mail order. It's really dodgy stuff though. It will melt your lungs if you inhale it. a less scary etch is ferric nitrate.

Joe
14-06-2011, 10:04 PM
I bought my last 85% acid from Biostains (http://www.atomscientific.com/products.php?category=acids). 85% is just bellow the "fuming nitric" concentration at which it becomes dangerous even to remove the lid! At 85% there is a little curl of brown sulphur dioxide when you remove the cap which you are discouraged from sniffing - unless you want to die unpleasantly.

I very strongly recommend getting some careful advice about acid handling; buying a few pipettes and a pipette bulb. These acids can be handled safely at home with proper care that can be easily learned.

There is, however, no safe dilution of hydrofluoric acid. Do not be tempted to have a go.

medusa
14-06-2011, 11:23 PM
ahhhh nitric and hydrofluoric acids. melt your eyeballs or melt your lungs.

My neighbours think I'm some kind of rubber fetishist when they see me in my garden opening my acid containers.

Joe
15-06-2011, 06:57 AM
a little curl of brown sulphur dioxide

Doh! As Dennis gently pointed out, nitrogen dioxide is the name of the deadly gas given off spontaneously by concentrated nitric acids.

ps_bond
15-06-2011, 07:02 AM
:D Well, I *was* going to mention it...

And it's definitely dioxide - no laughing matter.

(Sorry!)

Dennis
15-06-2011, 08:30 AM
No it's nitrous oxide that's the laughing matter. Ha Ha Ha.

ps_bond
15-06-2011, 08:36 AM
I needn't have worried about being obtuse then :D

HMPjewellery
11-09-2011, 01:58 PM
Ok........ I am coming back to this having been scared stiff by all of your talk the first time brought this up!!

Now!!! Being sensible please, what is the best acid to used for acid etching with the mylands black polish? I'm feeling braver now!! hahghaha

Dennis
11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Hannah Mary,

This method using a battery and salt appeared on the forum last December, posted by surfgirl. I have been unable to locate it today, so here is my copy, scanned in. I believe it works on various metals including copper, brass and silver.

If you do not find this sufficient and you PM me, I can send you photocopies, plus more detailed stuff I have from another source. Dennis.

mizgeorge
11-09-2011, 09:39 PM
The saltwater etch method first appeared in an issue of Art Jewelry a couple of years ago (from memory) and is still available as a download from them. There are also a couple of free blogs featuring the same technique. I've used it for copper and brass, but have yet to see good results on silver, even with the expensive Sherri Haab kit.

You could also try Edinburgh etch, there are numerous recipes around.

I have to admit that on the rare occasions I do any etching, I put on my big blue gloves and head outdoors with my nitric acid and goosefeather!

ShinyLauren
12-09-2011, 08:06 AM
So, what are the advantages of using nitic acid (which sounds alarming) over ferric nitrate (which sounds much less so) to etch sterling silver? I'm thinking of doing at etching course at London Jewellery school, but don't really want to play with nitric acid at home unless I really have to.

mizgeorge
12-09-2011, 10:07 AM
I just find nitric quicker and crisper.