PDA

View Full Version : flame thrower torch

DaisyMay
08-06-2011, 07:28 AM
Hi, can anyone help? I'm using the hand torch from Cookson's starter soldering kit, it has been fine but has now turned into a mini flame thrower, exciting but not good for soldering! I thought I'd just over-gassed it, but I've let it run for a good long time and it's not settling down. Is this likely to be something affecting the jet and if it is how do I fix it?

Many thanks in advance for any answers!

MeadMoon
13-06-2011, 08:46 AM
Forgive me if I'm being too simplistic here, but it's not just that the gas/air mix is wrong is it? Have you tried adjusting the screw at the base of the nozzle which affects how much of the air intake hole is covered?

DaisyDaisy
13-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Hi, can anyone help? I'm using the hand torch from Cookson's starter soldering kit, it has been fine but has now turned into a mini flame thrower, exciting but not good for soldering! I thought I'd just over-gassed it, but I've let it run for a good long time and it's not settling down. Is this likely to be something affecting the jet and if it is how do I fix it?

Many thanks in advance for any answers!
I had a similar problem with mine.....the flame almost reached the other end of the table I was sat at, scared the life out of me! After another couple of uses mine did settle down though.

Dennis
13-06-2011, 10:09 AM
This is a common problem with mini torches if they are over-filled and the remedy is to burn off the surplus gas until they behave normally. Over-filling takes place if you continue trying to fill your torch after you hear gas escaping. If burning off the surplus does not help, contact your supplier. Regards, Dennis.