PDA

View Full Version : Good grief! (Don't look if you don't like moths)

The Bijou Dragon
14-08-2009, 02:05 PM
So there I was last night slaving over my business card design and WHOOSH in flew a bat... or so I thought at the time but it wasn't, it was the biggest moth I have ever seen in my life!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3820657910/

Of course once it had knocked itself stupid and stopped for a breather I thought it was an opportune time for a photo!

Seriously it was really beautiful, like a furry teddy bear :D

I'm not the best photographer in the universe (and the camera leaves alot to be desired which doesn't help) but I love taking photos of stuff like this!

Anyone else an amateur photographer who enjoys snapping a few things to stick on flickr now and again?

Di Sandland
14-08-2009, 02:16 PM
OMG! I can't stand anything that flutters - scares the **** out of me. Makes me sound like a 'silly woman' but I'm not, in fact, I hate silly women :N:

As for photography - well, I used to be very keen with my old Canon SLR and myriad lenses. Then the eyesight got bad (only age, nothing dramatic) and I refused to use autofocus (yes, I'm very pig-headed). Now I have a small Nikon compact digital.

A couple of weeks ago tho, I got some unexpected funds and used half of it to buy my OH a Canon 1000D. Now we're getting a macro lens so we can use it for my jewellery - and I'm feeling a bit tempted again ;)

AlexandraBuckle
14-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Gosh he IS big :) I had a quick look on google, but no luck - not sure what he is. Nice pic though!

The Bijou Dragon
14-08-2009, 02:26 PM
LOL... I'm absolutely terrified of spiders I can't even look at a photo on one without squirming and squealing... won't go in a room where I know there is one etc etc etc so if you're a silly woman for being scared of fluttery things I'm a silly woman for being scared of spiders *shivers*

A lovely guy just ID'd it for me and apparently it's a hybrid of two different Hawk Moths which is probably why I couldn't find any information or photos of the one in the photo!

But yeah, when we get the funds we will be getting a digital SLR as point and shoots don't *do it* for us, not enough manual settings :)

caroleallen
14-08-2009, 02:27 PM
I don't mind looking at them but I hate it when they fly right at you. It is lovely though.

Di Sandland
14-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I see some Flickr group are asking to use the pic as well - have you seen that?

SilverByRosie
14-08-2009, 09:41 PM
That is an impressive moth.

I'm not much of girly girl, in fact I was Official Spider Remover in a house with more boys than girls, but if it's got a sting, I am gone! I rather like moths.

The Bijou Dragon
15-08-2009, 03:12 PM
I see some Flickr group are asking to use the pic as well - have you seen that?

Oh yes, cool isn't it :D

According to one of the guys from the UK Bugs group it's a hybrid from an Eyed Hawkmoth male and Poplar Hawkmoth female. No wonder I couldn't find one on the internet then lol

I've always been fascinated in wildlife, my Dad showed me and taught me loads when I was little as he loved anything wildlife and outdoors. I rebelled when I was a teen and was no interested in it whatsoever but after a few years I got interested in it all over again!

Just wait until we move to Cornwall... it will be wildlife photos a-go-go!

Di Sandland
15-08-2009, 04:31 PM
My dad too. We were from the east end of London and moved with the London overspill to Bedfordshire when I was 5. He thought he had died and gone to heaven - or at least to join the landed gentry. Every Sunday we went for a walk and he taught me all about the wild flowers, how to recognise birds by their songs, and how to forecast the weather by cloud formation.

The Bijou Dragon
15-08-2009, 05:55 PM
In a way all his walks, teachings and giving me respect for the world and the wildlife in it set me off down the Pagan path I think :)

I remember vividly asking him about Foxes and Badgers (that he saw all the time on his beat when he was a Policeman) and he got me up at 5am one Easter morning to drive down all the back road looking for them as we lived in Macclesfield at the time so it was rural.

Ahhh good times and I am lucky as most kids these days don't get all that!

The Dragon
15-08-2009, 11:39 PM
You know that looks just like the one I had snoozing in the hood of my raincoat the other night, it went in there for a sleep after 10 mins of divebombing the cats. The body was a good 4inches long and the wingspan closer to six. We have a lot of moths here because of the garden but in 15 years I've never seen one that big.

It was quite happy to sit on my hand when I decided to rehouse it on the wisteria, it even left me a few eggs as a thank you! lol.

Annie
:Y: