PDA

View Full Version : Hand torch advice

shaiadancer
22-05-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi, i want to get a hand torch for soldering small projects, is there much difference between the ones solder to jewellery makers and the ones sold to cooks?
thanks

Dennis
22-05-2011, 01:08 PM
They are all vey similar in that they are re-filled with lighter gas. However, if you are only going to have one torch for a while, then the Proxxon seems to give out the most heat. However it is also the most expensive. Mini-torches struggle with soldering large items such as bangles however thin, because as you get one side hot, the other side cools.

You might also like to read up http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/hot-metal-gold-silver-metal-working/3127-help-soldering.html#post39487

Regards, Dennis.

mizgeorge
22-05-2011, 09:01 PM
I rarely disagree with Dennis, but I was very underwhelmed by the Proxxon. For handhelds, I like the range from Nimrod - particularly the fixed flame PT-200, for small to medium soldering jobs, and the big PT-500 for annealing.

Dennis
22-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Torches last for years, so you don't often have a chance to try a new one. I've just looked at the Nimrods and if George recommends them, I would take her word.

Dennis.

medusa
23-05-2011, 07:17 PM
my proxxon started out great, then spluttered to a stop. I disassembled it and it worked again, bit not properly.

Polly
24-05-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi shaiadancer

It depends what you want really, if you are just starting out and have little money to invest in tools that you don't know whether you will continue to use, then yes you can use cooks torch. I have and it's work well for me, in fact I still have it. (and use it).

ps_bond
24-05-2011, 09:15 AM
One of the smallest Bernzomatic torches - UL2317 - is fairly inexpensive and puts out far more heat than any of the butane torches I've tried.