PDA

View Full Version : Ring sizing problems

Lavender Blue
11-05-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm very frustrated as I have made a ring that should be a P but has turned out as an L! The sterling silver D wire I'm using is 8.00mm x 2.00mm. I've taken the measurement for P of 56.02mm and then added the thickness of 2.00mm to make 58.02mm.

I've now made the ring using those measurements and it's turned out a size L! Hmmm!

I know that I can hammer it on a mandrel to take it up a fraction, but any suggestions as to why it's turned out the wrong size, and what measurement should it be, so I can buy some more wire and start again?

Many thanks!

Dennis
11-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Dear Lavender,
Here is the maths: Diameter of ring stick at size P is 17.90 mm. Add 2.00 mm for the thickness of the wire, makes 19.90 mm. Multiply by Pi (3.14) makes 62.54 mm. If you have to file the ends square now you will need to add what you reckon to file away at this piont.

The maxim is measure twice make once, but if like me you want to skip the maths, then have a look at this:http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/tutorials-bench-tips-step-steps/3033-not-easy-pi.html

You can still rescue your ring, if you know someone with an upright ring stretcher. You just anneal after every size up , but your wire will get a bit thinner.
Dont despair, we've all done it, Dennis.

Dennis
18-05-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi lavender Blue,

If you're still out there, we'd all like to know how you got on with your ring sizing problem, Dennis.

jai.kapoor246
15-07-2011, 05:01 AM
yeah it was wrong with measurement...try ring stretcher.... you might rescue your ring.