PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at engraving.

medusa
23-04-2011, 12:19 PM
OK, well engraving is pushing it a bit. more like scratching metal, but it made you look!

I had a request to etch a little trefoil shape on a pebble and it was clear the photocopy resist was not holding up so I yanked it out. my problem was the etch wasn't deep enough, plus there was etching where there shouldn't have been any in the middle bits and the lines were a bit fuzzy.

So I thought maybe I could score it. I embedded it in a big lump of victory brown wax, got a new point in a scorer and set to work. Having the start of the lines was obviously helpful and made up for the fact I was basically using a big pin. I kept moving it around so I was only pushing forwards because I figured I'd have more control that way and I only managed to skid off three times. And that was because I attempted a bit of a curve.

I went over and over, getting deeper and deeper until I felt I could risk taking the whole surface down a bit.

The lines are now a bit cleaner and much deeper though as you can see from the photos there are still some pitting but to the naked eye that is not noticeable. I haven't managed to polish out the worst skid I made and the top triangle on the left is less than great, but on the whole, in the hand, it looks alright. I've shown it to a few people and they said it looked lovely but if the customer isn't happy with it, then I'll redo it because I'm not sure. That said, the fingerprint has come out really well.

things I have learned from this, is that I'd like to have a go at doing it properly (but on copper!) and also that I need to get my eyes seen to and sort some kind of magnification out as well. My eyes had a really hard time doing this and it's brought home to me that there has been a deterioration since they were last tested.

Joe
23-04-2011, 12:59 PM
I find engraving really difficult and have huge respect for those proficient at it.

I would really suggest getting a small round scorper (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Round-Edge-Scorper-Size-8-0.8mm-Vallorbe-Ref-402-Ws-prcode-999-AYM) and having a go! I find the round edge is much more forgiving than the other tools and cuts sterling easily. It's great for a whole range of little tasks like adding the odd line, raising small beads, cleaning up and adding texture.

medusa
23-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Oh tell me! have you seen Katia's work?

I would have got a much better effect with the right tools but I was desperate. The gal has just emailed and said she thinks it's beautiful, though, so hopefully I won't have to re-do it. It does look a lot better in reality than in the photos.

I'm adding the scorper to my basket. What are the best kinds of handle to use? should i get one of each to find which one 'fits' my habd best?

silver70
23-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Lovely piece! I admire anyone who can engrave!

Joe
23-04-2011, 03:29 PM
What are the best kinds of handle to use? should i get one of each to find which one 'fits' my habd best?

I am certain there will be differences of opinion there! I like the pear-shaped ones but the spheres are small and neat and comfortable in the palm of a small hand.

medusa
23-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Lovely piece! I admire anyone who can engrave!

hahaha! so do I!

I notice that cookies are having a sale on some of their gravers... maybe I should buy a few.

medusa
23-04-2011, 03:39 PM
I am certain there will be differences of opinion there! I like the pear-shaped ones but the spheres are small and neat and comfortable in the palm of a small hand.

hmmmm... I have small hands as well, so they may be better...

Goldsmith
23-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Hi Liz,
If you buy yourself a graver and perhaps a book about engraving. You need to know how to sharpen the graver correctly, I can recommend "Engraving on Precious Metals" by A. Brittain,S.Wolpert and P.Morton. My grandfather was an engraver and he taught me his skills and gave me this book. I can let you know some good practice ideas if you are interested. Amazon stock the book; http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engraving-Precious-Metals-Brittain/dp/0719800226/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303573940&sr=1-1
Some engraving skills are a large plus in this business.
James

Kwant
23-04-2011, 04:15 PM
Peter posted this thread a short while back which has two links about gravers which you might find interesting. http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/classifieds/3453-gravers-graver-sharpener.html

medusa
23-04-2011, 06:16 PM
OK, Thank you James, I've added it to my amazon basket. I completely agree it's a great skill to have. I'm not quite sure my skills are up to my ambitions. My drawing abilities are good in terms of sketching from life, but that's it and I seldom have time to practice any more, but it would be really good to be able to do simple stuff well. would copper be a good material to practice on?

Kwant, I've seen both the thread and the links, really useful. I'm assuming it's so long ago, the gravers and sharpener have all gone.

Laceyloudesign
23-04-2011, 06:37 PM
That book recommended looks interesting. I haven't done any engraving, but have just won a dremel engraver in the Cookson's Mother's Day competition... I think I need a book to keep it company!

medusa
23-04-2011, 06:53 PM
ohhh! congratulations!

I wonder what others think of electric engravers?

Kwant
23-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Rattle his box and ask :0)

Dennis
23-04-2011, 10:38 PM
ohhh! congratulations!

I wonder what others think of electric engravers?

Traditional hand engraving produces bright V-shaped grooves in metal, although there are some gravers for other effects. It takes hours of practice on a daily basis to become anywhere near proficient and the trick can be lost again if you don't use it often enough. I once went on a four day engraving course, much of it spent on setting up and sharpening new gravers and nothing like enough time on actually using them. Ten years on I am still useless at even basic hand engraving.

Electric engravers which work by vibration only share the same name. The sharp tungsten carbide tip is rather clumsy to use and will write on metal or resin leaving a trail of microscopic dots. With little practice quite neat signatures and dates can be achieved in lieu of, say a hall mark for work that is not being sold, or on non precious metals, but I doubt that you would find the effect good enough to replace the real thing described above. The strength of vibration can be increased to cope with harder or textured surfaces and diamond tips are provided for use on glass.

In use it is best to handle the electric engraver lightly, like writing with a pen. I find that a quick practice on a piece of waste metal prior to each use, accustoms the hand to the vibrations and slight imbalance of the tool. Of several versions I have tried over time, the Dremel is by far the best, but no engraving manual will have anything relevant to say about it. Dennis.

ps_bond
24-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Nah - I still have a few, although the sharpener is gone; I've also got an assortment of knife, lozenge, onglette/spitstick and I think there's a few small flats there (but I haven't totted up exactly what is there). For general line work, the square is the go-to tool.

Goldsmith
24-04-2011, 06:58 AM
[QUOTE=medusa;42615]OK, Thank you James, I've added it to my amazon basket. I completely agree it's a great skill to have. I'm not quite sure my skills are up to my ambitions. My drawing abilities are good in terms of sketching from life, but that's it and I seldom have time to practice any more, but it would be really good to be able to do simple stuff well. would copper be a good material to practice on?

Copper is ideal for practicing on, I used to use copper plates that were sold in the printing trade, they were sold in 4" x 3" highly polished sheets. I kept a couple of my copper practice plates, they were my first efforts at engraving pictures as I never really enjoyed letter engraving, I engraved the Puma in 1967 and the Pegasus in 1970, back when I was a newly qualified goldsmith. I had completed my six year apprenticeship as a goldsmith in 1967.
James29152914

Laceyloudesign
24-04-2011, 04:49 PM
James,

They look absolutely amazing. I have done a bit on wood with a pyrography tool, but nothing on metal yet. As it was a prize and will get me venturing into uncharted waters, then its got to be worth a go. It is rather at the bottom of the 'to do' list at the moment, with getting keys to a studio on Thursday, and having just opened my first solo exhibition yesterday, life has been a bit hectic recently.

Louise

Tabby66
24-04-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds like you're having a GREAT, if not busy time Louise - studio, solo exhibition and an electronic engraver prize!!

I hope all goes well!!

Best wishes
Tabby

Laceyloudesign
24-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Thanks Tabby,
Yes and to top it all the local paper sent a photographer out today, on Easter Sunday to catch me in action!!

Louise
www.louisewestlacedesign.co.uk