PDA

View Full Version : invisible or blind setting stones

Green Monster
13-08-2009, 06:40 PM
does anyone have any info on how this style of stone setting is done, I have seen articles that mention it but can't find any info on how to do it, and whilst it will no doubt be well out of my skill range I would be interested to know the secret of doing it.

Cheers
G

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 06:44 PM
If you were invisible how would you see where your hands were??
I'm not sure a blind person would set stones very well at all....then again there's probably a master stone setter who's found a way around their lack of eyesight...
(Can you tell I haven't a clue??? I bet Peter would know, he's clever he is!! :Y:)

nic x

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Whooop my reputation is untarnished!! :))) :)))
Invisible Stone Setting Lesson (http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-invisible-setting-lesson.htm)
Nic xx

myke
13-08-2009, 09:23 PM
If you were invisible how would you see where your hands were??
I'm not sure a blind person would set stones very well at all....then again there's probably a master stone setter who's found a way around their lack of eyesight...
(Can you tell I haven't a clue??? I bet Peter would know, he's clever he is!! :Y:)

nic x
.................................................. .................................................. ......

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Tut tut, Myke - its all in the heading - Invisible or Blind Setting Stones; its a punctuation thing.

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Invisible Stone Setting Lesson (http://www.ganoksin.com/borisat/nenam/ajm-invisible-setting-lesson.htm)
Nic xx

Don't you believe it!!!! She has an Achilles heel people!!!!!

myke
13-08-2009, 09:33 PM
explain........................................... ..........................................

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Nic xx

If its invisible, Nic, how will we find it?

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 09:38 PM
In Greek mythology Achilles was invulnerable in all of his body except for his heel. Legend states that Achilles was semi-immortal, however his heel was vulnerable. Since he died due to a poisoned arrow shot into his heel, the "Achilles' heel" has come to mean a person's principal weakness

....according to Wikipedia....I couldn't have written it in less than 1,000 words!!!:D

myke
13-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Tut tut, Myke - its all in the heading - Invisible or Blind Setting Stones; its a punctuation thing.

I am from the north please explain the above

Green Monster
13-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Thankl to Nic and Jason, same article...
but just what I was looking for. I have never seen mention of stones grooved below the girdle before, it all makes sense now.
I would have thought that grooving the stones would have knocked alot off their value, not something I would want to do to a quality stone.

Jason, what holds the four meeting corners in place in the centre of an illusion setting?
cheers
G

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 10:40 PM
If its invisible, Nic, how will we find it?

Rofl #-o you spotted the flaw in my fiendish plan!!

ps_bond
17-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Late to this one... :)

There's been a lot of discussion on Ganoksin about this setting technique recently - there seems to be a consensus emerging of it looks nice, but don't even think about reworking it later... Along with it *will* need reworking.

Green Monster
17-08-2009, 04:53 PM
I had already thought it was a no go on reworking after seeing the instructions for construction, definitely some skill involved in doing the setting in the first place. Fulll respect to anyone that does it.
Cheers
G