PDA

View Full Version : prom bronze clay firing disaster

rainbow
16-04-2011, 05:13 PM
I've been playing with prometheus bronze clay and have been told you can torch fire it BUT after two disasters in the kiln i tried it out and the piece just broke up into little black bits! having never torch fired before i'm sure it's something i did but have no idea what. It was a small piece as i'm trying out different methods with the little bits I did that i'm not fussed about before i try the bits I really like in case they die too. Any suggestions please?

medusa
16-04-2011, 11:44 PM
I've only ever kiln fired it. I know you have to wrap it up in paper and a fire blanket to absorb the oxygen or something.

rainbow
01-05-2011, 06:09 PM
yes i did that but not much luck and have been trying torch firing but not much luck there either. Had one piece torch fired that came out okay but now it's gone green in places BUT the copper clay has been fine! Now I was told the bronze is easier. very conflicting info out there and if like me you don't have a big spanky kiln and loads of stuff to practice with it's quite difficult to feel your way through. Oh well we all have to start somewhere i suppose. Had a ring turn to dust earlier, good job i found it rather funny! LOL anyone else out there trying anything with this stuff????