PDA

View Full Version : Dichroic Glass in Sterling

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 11:01 AM
I've made soooo many Dichroic Glass cabochons and not got around to setting them....
This one was calling to me and I wanted to try out my new fretz texturing hammer!
It measures 43 x 28mm so is definately eye catching ;-)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/dichroic-front.jpg
I set the rear very simply with a tube bail. Nice and wide so it will take a thicker chain.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/dichroic-rear.jpg

Nic x

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Wow, that's an eye-popper. I love the colours of the glass and, as per usual, your backside is a sight to behold=D>

Trudy
13-08-2009, 11:18 AM
That is so beautiful! I love it! :)

kymbi
13-08-2009, 11:47 AM
That's one gorgeous pendant Nic, a real statement piece :D

julie
13-08-2009, 11:59 AM
That's beautiful nic,stunning colours :D

mizgeorge
13-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not often a big fan of dichro stuff, but that's gorgeous Nic!

Love the texturing - it echos the glass texture really well too :)

purple4711
13-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Just beautiful!!!
L x

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 12:22 PM
Awww thanks all -
Hey MoonCottage I'm honoured that you would take so much pleasure from looking at my behind (ROFL - wipes tea from monitor)
Jason - I've recently fallen in love with Abalone again too...One of my suppliers is making Abalone settings with resin tops (gorgeous!). The top of both the Thoth pieces is also Dichroic (it has soooo many flavours!!)
mizgeorge - glad I could convert you if only on one piece, lol :Y:

Nic xx

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I've made soooo many Dichroic Glass cabochons and not got around to setting them....
This one was calling to me and I wanted to try out my new fretz texturing hammer!
It measures 43 x 28mm so is definately eye catching ;-)
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/dichroic-front.jpg
I set the rear very simply with a tube bail. Nice and wide so it will take a thicker chain.
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/dichroic-rear.jpg

Nic x

you MADE that cabochon??? bloody hell nic is there anything you cant doo!!! its bloody marvellous!!

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 01:28 PM
The glass did all the work, it's just two layers of funky Dichroic kiln fused & shaped with my grinder...
(Arrrgh when will I learn to preserve the mystery #-o rofl)
I love dichroic glass but hate the wibbly wobbly edges that so much of it has,
so I make my own :Y:

Nic x

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 01:30 PM
*sigh* i am never gonna succeed at any of this

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 01:58 PM
OMG - You are SOOOO getting it!! Don't be hard on yourself [-X
I make jewellery almost every day, and often ALL day and have been doing so for FOUR years (+ as a hobby for a lot longer than that).

Give yourself permission to take your own time, you do a day job too, so you've hardly got any hours under your belt yet! :X
Nic xx

EmmaRose
13-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Nice work Nic, you must have a huge workshop LOL!!!
Love the texturing, way to go Fretz (you get that from US??)
Em

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 03:25 PM
Just when we are all sick with jealousy at your skill with pmc you go and hit us with another........AAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lovely, lovely, lovely!! The texturing is really effective isn't it - sets it off a treat!

I know what you mean about wobbly dichros...are you willing to reveal a little more of yourself...? ...are you fusing, grinding then flashing it again??!!! (I even laughed as I typed that!!:rofl:) ...or to put it more bluntly...when do you grind?? :-O....I feel the censors mark getting ever closer!!:-D. 0:-)

Di Sandland
13-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeah, Barbara, but you're okay cos Nic is the censor!

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 03:35 PM
OMG - You are SOOOO getting it!! Don't be hard on yourself [-X
I make jewellery almost every day, and often ALL day and have been doing so for FOUR years (+ as a hobby for a lot longer than that).

Give yourself permission to take your own time, you do a day job too, so you've hardly got any hours under your belt yet! :X
Nic xx

lol you havent seen anything i have made yet and the only thing i have been able to do at home is the beads, i have a delicate silver bracelet on the go at college but obviously thats on hold now til the end of september

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Lol - EmmaRose it's not that big (I bagged the utility room when we moved)
Solunar Silver Studio Hope you're better soon, I didn't mean to make you feel ill +o( :D
Yes I'm fusing, grinding then flashing it again, unless I'm setting it in a bezel in which case I sometimes miss out the last step ;)
bustagasket - beads are good, I started with beads too but found I preferred bashing metal and working with flames!!! :<3:

Nic x

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 04:48 PM
lmao i have a pendant in my head, and i know how i want it to sit on the cain, but i dont know what thickness silver it would need as there will be a fair bit of bending required :-s

MuranoSilver
13-08-2009, 04:53 PM
If you can draw the design, then take a pic, post it up and we'll try & help :)
nic x

The Bijou Dragon
13-08-2009, 05:19 PM
That's lovely!

I've always liked Diachronic glass because to be quite frank I am amused by shiny bright colours much like a child or a magpie really :D

Su, don't be hard on yourself, please! I have only just progressed from silver plated bead jewellery myself and am finding it incredibly hard! I have twice tried to make myself a ring lately and fuffed it up completely. My OH on the other hand can do it first time... why? because he has worked with sheet metal in the past! It really, honestly is practice (despite me sulking because I can't do it and he can) and one day I will be able to do it too.

I know you are like me, you look at other peoples work and thing 'I;m never going to be able to make something that pretty' but you will and you probably already DO make pretty things, you just don't think they are... just like me... I've lost count how many times I have threatened to throw everything in the bin and NEVER make jewellery ever again because my stuff is rubbish. However, you know and I know we'll still be doing it in a years time and we will be so much better and people will be looking at your work thinking 'I'll never make anything as nice as that'.

As someone told me once, when you look all around you and there's nothing to aspire to then you are lost because you will no longer push yourself nor advance yourself and you will become stale!

HUGE []

Sorry for the hijack Nic!

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks guys, i certainly wont give up trying, i just get myself in such a state with frustration at not having the skills i want. Its very difficult at the college when there are 12 women all wanting the tutors attention, and i'm afraid i tend to sit back and wait for an opening, whereas they just kinda barge in lol.

The teaching at my evening class gives you the basics, as in sawing the metal, soldering, basic beading and setting stones in a piece of tube (i dont know the proper name yet) but things like my keyring the tutor took home to polish cos the big spinning polisher in there might have damaged a finer bit on it. I know that everyone else had started in the last September, so they were more with it, and i only started in the final term, but the same people seem to just keep re-signing up for the course, so it dosent really have a turn over for me to learn new techniques on. I dont know. Its local to me and my tutor is lovely, but i do wonder whether after i have completed a full year, if i will feel its beneficial to keep going at £75 term, or if i should look for something else to learn new stuff. I guess i will have to wait and see how i feel at the end of next July, and go from there.

I will try and scetch something Nic but kinda hard to make it look right. And i will post up some pics of the pearl necklalces i have done so far, the college projest and my spiral onyx/crystal set. (if i can pluck up the courage lol)

caroleallen
13-08-2009, 08:39 PM
I know what you mean about evening classes. That's how I started and it was frustrating to begin with for the reasons you mentioned. I persisted though and by the end of the first year I found that I could begin to make things on my own without much help. By the end of the second year I felt I'd learned everything my tutor could offer and started out on my own with the help of books. Ten years on I'm running a thriving business.

bustagasket
13-08-2009, 08:49 PM
I know what you mean about evening classes. That's how I started and it was frustrating to begin with for the reasons you mentioned. I persisted though and by the end of the first year I found that I could begin to make things on my own without much help. By the end of the second year I felt I'd learned everything my tutor could offer and started out on my own with the help of books. Ten years on I'm running a thriving business.

Thank you for that its a great encouragement :)