PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!!! Problem with micro torch....

purple4711
12-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Evening,
I know this post is madly late....but I have just made my first tentative steps into the world of PMC...very excited by the whole prosect of learning to work with it :)

I used my micro torch (that came from Cooksons) for the first time, all went well....but once switched to the off position I could still hear a hissing sound for ages. It has stopped now, but am quite nervous about these things (as is my OH who for some reason strongly dislikes the thought of me using one of these when he isnt in the house!!! No iea why....:-")

So- I am leaving windows open, and shutting the cats out of the living room for the night....is this normal, am I over reacting?? I mean the torch doing hissing for a good few minutes after being switched off????

Advice greatly appreciated.
Lesley x

Solunar Silver Studio
13-08-2009, 05:53 AM
Hi, - I cant really help without being there and seeing, or rather hearing it!! But if it is leaking gas you should be able to smell something...it isn't a really strong smell but if you have a sniff around you should be able to pick it up. (You should catch the smell of it when you fill it up as there is always a bit of a fume release then.)

In the short term...unless you live in a flat of course...if you are worried about it leaking or can't turn it off just go and pop it in the garden...hidden behind a pot or something if you are concerned about leaving it in the open...just so long as it is not trained on anything inflamable!! (Or pop it in the oven with the door left open, or in the sink if it is lit and you can't turn it off and live in a flat! until it burns itself out. It can burn in these places without accidently catching light to things!!)

If you have it full on (either lit or not) it does only take about 20 minutes or so to empty...and discharging it into the air outside will render it harmless.

I would try to get it to repeat the noise...that is use it for a bit and then turn it off to try and get it to hiss again...when your OH is there - not to act as your 'great protector' ( although you can let him think that if it suits you!!;)) but so you can get a second opinion as to whether there is a problem. Either way - it might be a good idea to phone Cooksons this morning..

I know this is not a lot of help 7 hours after the event....but I couldn't bear to see you not get an answer!!!:)

caroleallen
13-08-2009, 06:22 AM
It's hard to say but I sometimes have problems if I over-fill it. Could that be the cause?

mizgeorge
13-08-2009, 10:17 AM
One of my torches can hiss a little for up to about 15 seconds, especially if it's a bit overfilled. I think several minutes would suggest a faulty valve though. It's unlikely to do any harm, unless there's a naked flame nearby, but you'll run out of gas pretty quickly, and that's really annoying!

kymbi
13-08-2009, 10:27 AM
ooh, can I ask a torch question ~ sorry to hijack...

I've just filled my micro-torch and when it's lit the flame is somewhat lacklustre ~ no fierce pointy flame, more of a flaccid curl.

Anyone else had this? Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Any ideas on what I could do?

polite suggestions only please... ;)

mizgeorge
13-08-2009, 10:40 AM
Is it turned up to full Kym? And have you got the little collar twisted round to add enough air to the flame?

kymbi
13-08-2009, 10:49 AM
aaah, adding more air ~ that makes sense as it does look as though there's not the right mix....the flame is big but limp. Many thanks for the pointer George :Y:

...off to have another tinker...

purple4711
13-08-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks all,
I will try it again this morning, and see what happens. OH was there last night...and heard the hissing, he was trying to stop it while I was posting message on here!
If it happens this am I will call Cooksons, apart from the scaryness it will, as mizgeorge says presumabley get thru gas at an alarming rate.

Thanks again, will let u know how I get on.
Lesley

kymbi
13-08-2009, 11:45 AM
And have you got the little collar twisted round to add enough air to the flame?

George, you are a star :X

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've had one of these for years and never realised you could adjust the air quantity and have never had to before now...oops!

Another thing I've learnt from the forum :Y:

purple4711
13-08-2009, 04:04 PM
A quick update.....I have had another go with my torch (whilst all alone, and didnt burn house down....!) and it only hissed for a few seconds once I switched it off.
I recon it may have been overfilled.
Thanks to all for your help. :X

L x

kymbi
13-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm glad it looks like it's sorted and going to be ok Lesley ~ phew!