PDA

View Full Version : nickel allergies and argentium/reflections etc.

medusa
01-04-2011, 03:43 PM
Does anyone know if any of the newer sterling alloys are suitable for people who have nickel or other metal allergies?

Kwant
01-04-2011, 06:42 PM
Hi Medusa there was a thread about this a while back and I just cannot find it, all I can remember from the thread was talk of "german silver", which I searched on and found nothing , perhaps you will have better luck. I believe it was gone into in some detail about nickel contents etc.

medusa
01-04-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi Kwant,
I did a search on nickel allergy and didn't get much. My understanding is that european sterling isn't allowed to contain nickel, but so many people still react to it. My sis in law can only wear 24K gold and fine silver. She has a very very modest jewellery collection!

Kwant
01-04-2011, 07:37 PM
I searched again and found the thread I was thinking of and it was not as I remembered though it did talk of nickel http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/need-help-ask-experts/3297-brooch-pins.html, however while looking I found this one about the content of nickel in Cookson alloys http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/customer-service/3059-nickel-free.html which may be of some help.

oh and ps I am like your sister in law when it comes to bling I want, I find although I can work with silver and cz etc I can only wear platinum and nice sized diamonds, anything else brings me out in a rage :0)

medusa
01-04-2011, 08:02 PM
I saw those threads, and LMFAO at being brought out in a rage :D

Joe
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
My understanding is that european sterling isn't allowed to contain nickel

My understanding is that some suppliers can't even be trusted to put silver in their sterling even when there are rules! There are no rules for suppliers re nickel. Cooksons say they have no silver alloys containing nickel - no one else I contacted were willing to make any declaration...

I don't know about platinum and diamonds... but some of my friends seem very attached to plain gold rings, going on and on about them....

medusa
02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
My understanding is that some suppliers can't even be trusted to put silver in their sterling even when there are rules! There are no rules for suppliers re nickel. Cooksons say they have no silver alloys containing nickel - no one else I contacted were willing to make any declaration...

I don't know about platinum and diamonds... but some of my friends seem very attached to plain gold rings, going on and on about them....

So when some people are reacting to sterling, it could be they are reacting to small amounts of nickel in the sterling, even though it isn't supposed to be there and not the copper?

I would really like to definitively say that my stuff won't cause a reaction, but if people are reacting to something other than nickel, then I don't see how I can. I know the PMC fingerprint rolls I make are ok, but it's not really realistic to make other items out fine silver, is it?