PDA

View Full Version : Bearer wire and circumferences

Kwant
26-03-2011, 05:47 PM
Today I received some bearer wire, which although I knew was sterling is a little stiffer than I imagined. So it is not exactly easy to wrap around the stone to get a rough idea of the amount needed. My math skills are lacking to say the least and have no idea how to calculate the circumference of ovals, round I can just about cope with.

Well I googled to see if there was some easy formula and came across this utility which seems to answer my problems http://www.csgnetwork.com/circumellipse.html, it says it is approximate but as it works to umpteen decimal points it seems pretty accurate to me. I used a digital caliper to measure my stone and input the figures and there was the answer.

I just thought some of you who are mathematically challenged like me might appreciate knowing it is there.

Dennis
26-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Hi Quant,
The diameter of a circle multiplied by 3.14 (pi) gives you the circumference as you know.
For an oval you just take the mean of the length and width and use that as the diameter in the same way. In other words, length + width divided by two, times 3.14.
I have long given up ready-made bezel wire, because I find much of it ends up as scrap and it is very flimsy. Also bearer wire can be stiff and tricky.
As you have brought this up, I thought I would Invite you to join my strip club early on Monday morning. Dennis.

Kwant
26-03-2011, 09:33 PM
You tease :0)