PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Shower

SilverByRosie
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Once it gets fully dark tonight, you should be able to see the Perseid meteor shower! Providing the clouds stay away *fingers crossed*

Here's a link to more info from New Scientist (http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17572-perseid-shower-to-produce-shooting-stars.html) if anyone's interested.

I'll be out there with my blanket & binoculars soon!

~Rosie

mizgeorge
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
I used to live in Cairo, and was lucky enough to be there at the time of the biggest Leonid shower in many years. A bunch of us drove out into the desert, with blankets and beer ;) and lay down to watch the most amazing firework display I've ever seen.

Awesome.

I thought the best night for the Perseids was meant to be last night though? Far too cloudy here for anything anyway, even without the light pollution.

SilverByRosie
12-08-2009, 08:01 PM
The Perseid shower peaked at 17:30 today, and it wasn't supposed to get going till the small hours of this morning. And I didn't think to post about it here till today #-o

I couldn't watch it this morning as I still have a day job, but apparently it was too cloudy anyway. Tonight looks a little better.

myke
12-08-2009, 08:02 PM
still light here and will be till ten thirty plus it is over cast but if i am still sober will take look.looking upward and outward myke

julie
i saw this on the news today they say last night & tonight are the best days but its looking cloudy here :'(

SilverByRosie
Also, I am jealous of your living in Cairo. I've always wanted to visit Egypt (had a thing for Egyptology as a kid) but haven't saved up enough yet. I keep spending it on jewellery tools.

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Last night's display was excellent here. Tonight its cloudy and trying to piss down

SilverByRosie
12-08-2009, 10:05 PM
The clouds parted long enough for me to get my fix :)

I saw a handful of tiddlers and one really good one. Then the clouds came back. Ah well.

AlexandraBuckle
13-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the heads up (lol- accidental pun!) on this Rosie!

I did have a look but it was too overcast :N: