View Full Version : Static!

22-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I've been playing with some acrylic sheet recently for photo backgrounds; unfortunately, while the initial effect is to my liking (black, reflective surface), the static charge on the sheet is dragging every dust particle passing out of the air and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Does anyone have any solutions for this? I wondered if one of the Mr Sheen polishes or similar would cure it.

22-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Peter, An anti static gun may work for you. I have one that I use on my old LP records, here is one similar to mine advertised on Amazon; http://www.amazon.co.uk/MILTY-ZEROSTAT-3-ANTI-STATIC-GUN/dp/B0033SHDSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300798702&sr=8-1

Cheers, James

22-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Thanks James - could be worth a try. I'm exacerbating the situation by putting the protective film back over the plastic, I know - but it should extend the life of the surface.

Funny really; I spend a lot of time worrying about static at work, but it's more easily dealt with as everything involved is conductive.

22-03-2011, 02:49 PM
Hi Peter iwhy not use glass with black paper underneath it, of course you can't get a seamless curved background but I'm sure it's easy to eradicate the join using software.

I made a Claude mirror like this years ago, using a frameless frame and black paper, but I couldn't get the hang of using it, now maybe it has found a new use

22-03-2011, 03:23 PM
That's an idea Jille - although I wonder if I could slump some glass adequately to give me a curved background...? I hadn't come across the Claude mirror before, thank you!

22-03-2011, 06:22 PM
I'm glass fuser and slumper , it would be difficult to get something with a really smooth surface on the back side if it was touching a mould. You could use some dams and slump between them but not so the glass touches anything, it just hangs.
I have some black glass plates, i think they are Arcopal, those might work, or bullseye glass. Now you have me thinking of the possibilities

22-03-2011, 06:25 PM
I was wondering about some way of cantilevering a sheet - kind of a one-sided slumping ring? Maybe do 2 drops either side of a rod? Black glass could work well though - I know the sort of plates you mean.

...This is how I end up going off at tangents :D

22-03-2011, 06:41 PM
These any good peter? http://www.google.co.uk/search?sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=Antistatic+cloth&aq=0s&aqi=g-s4g-ms2&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&cad=cbv#hl=en&sa=X&ei=G_uITZXoA9GJhQfOpaHCDg&ved=0CC8QBSgA&q=Anti+Static+cloth&spell=1&fp=43a25959418c7992

22-03-2011, 06:59 PM
you could try washing them in photgraphic wetting agent. that reduces static on film so they don't get covered in dust, though I personally think maybe a microfibre duster may be better. I think some of them are charged to pick up the fluff.

23-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Those are both feasible, thank you; I may have some wetting agent knocking around...