PDA

View Full Version : Hi...

badevel
16-03-2011, 12:34 PM
Thought I'd say hello, I usually lurk but this seems like a really nice and friendly forum so I thought I would bite the bullet and jump right in!! :D

I used to make and sell Jewellery when I was in my teens but stopped when I moved, age 17, to a town that didn't have any beady/crafty shops. This was all before the advent of the internet of course.

I had been thinking for a while about getting back into it but now I've started buying. Although funds are limited so it'll be a little while before I have enough to really start making things. Also I'm not really sure what area I'm going to focus on. I'm quite excited at the idea of trying Chain maille but I may leave that for a while and start on more simple things, even if just to prove to myself that I've still got the skills :p

Ok, I'm going to stop rambling now - I only meant to say a quick Hi! Look forward to cyber-meeting you all

evel x

lorraineflee
16-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi Evel, welcome to the forum!

Lorraine

Dennis
16-03-2011, 05:23 PM
Hi evel,

If i'ts maille, have a look at mizgeorge. You could be just like her, but not for a while yet. kind regards, Dennis.

medusa
17-03-2011, 09:11 AM
cyber-waves hello

badevel
17-03-2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys :D

Yes Dennis, I had already noticed that mizgeorge is the resident expert - I'm sure I'll be calling on her expertise at some point, even through the advice she has already given. At the moment though, I think I just need to play about by myself and decide which direction I want to go in because at the moment I'm like a child in a sweetshop!!

Kwant
17-03-2011, 02:59 PM
Welcome evel,

having recently bought some sterling wire of dodgy provenance from ebay, I decided to use it to have a go at mail for myself. Using a couple of tutorials on youtube, in two days I managed to make three bracelets one byzantine and two box link, so although it looks horribly complicated to start with it is quite satisfying to watch your chain grow once you get the hang of it.

badevel
18-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Thanks Kwant,

I've already found the CG Maille tutorials and am quite excited to have a go but, with funds being limited, I think I'll just start back with the kind of things I know I USED to be able to do quite competently. Just to get my hand/eye back in on the finishing. The last thing I want is to spend hours creating a chainmaille piece that looks like its been finished by a chimp!! It has been nearly 20 years since I even held a set of jewellery pliers :/

I am looking forward to getting started properly and being able to contribute a bit more to the here though. Thank you to everyone for the welcome :D

snow_imp
21-03-2011, 12:14 PM
Hello and welcome.