PDA

View Full Version : Sterling Bead Wire or Ball Wire

Jasmin
14-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Hello - does anyone know where I can buy (or might Cooksons be able to source) some full bead wire in sterling? No, no, this is not beading wire! By ball wire or bead wire I simply mean a cast wire made up of solid sterling silver balls seemingly fused together in a straight line.

I have tried making my own, but suffice to say I would rather buy it ready made...!

I can get it in reels in various gauges from the US but would prefer a UK supplier.

Any ideas? Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

Dennis
15-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi jasmin,

I'm sorry you have drawn a blank with your request for help. If you can post a picture of what you make with it, give the dimensions of the balls and say how much wire you usually need, someone might come up with a suggestion.

For instance, would a small amount of paste solder applied to a ball chain of your choice do the trick? Dennis.

mizgeorge
15-03-2011, 08:49 PM
Do you mean ball chain

http://www.cooksongold.com/images-prod/WVY_U00__lg.jpg

Or do you mean pearl wire

http://www.rashbel.com/images/products/large/LCPRLW_large.jpg

if the former, then cooksons,

for the latter, try Rashbel, who have various sizes sold by length.

Dennis
15-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I'm sure she means the latter, George . I hope she comes back to pick it up.

In the mean time I'd like a quick tute on how you do those images. Thumbnails are a bit tame sometimes, D.

Jasmin
15-03-2011, 10:19 PM
Oh I am here! I've had this page open on my laptop hoping for someone to pop up - and you did! thank you both, and thank you for the tip, George!! I had tried Rashbels but was searching for the wrong terms, not pearl wire! And there it is!

I need this for a ring I have been asked to make - I had briefly considered using ball chain but no doubt all the balls would have ended up squashed, so did not even want to attempt that route, but this wire will be perfect, I think. Incidentally, have either of you tried using it for a ring? Just wondering if the wire retains its evenness or if the balls might lose roundness in the process?

Thank you both!

Jasmin

mizgeorge
15-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Is it for the shank? If so, I'd definitely add a liner - it's pretty thin in places. I use it occasionally for a decorative edge at the base of a bezel, and for a different look to filigree pieces. Bear in mind that it's usually 935 silver (like most gallery strip and ribbon) so is also slightly softer than sterling.

mizgeorge
15-03-2011, 11:08 PM
In the mean time I'd like a quick tute on how you do those images. Thumbnails are a bit tame sometimes, D.

Dear Dennis
I just open the pictures from the website and use right click to copy the image url, then use the insert image ooption to add it to the body of the text. I always hope that's a a bit more helpful that having to add a clickable link. If there isn't a url available, I occasionally screen grab, crop and then host the image on my photobucket - actually about the only thing I still use photobucket for since I switched most other images to flickr.

Jasmin
15-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Thank you for that, George. And yes you're right, I had not even noticed it was 935. It's on order - can't wait to receive it. If it works out, I'll add an image, not a thumbnail! :)

Dennis
16-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Thank you George, I've just printed your advice and shall have a go, Kind regards, Dennis.