PDA

View Full Version : World Book Day

Cristiana
03-03-2011, 08:53 AM
A read for today!

In the UK and Ireland World Book Day takes place on the 3rd of March. This particular date originated over 90 years ago in Catalonia, where roses and books were given as gifts to loved ones on St. George’s Day.[[]]

World Book Day is a day of personal enrichment which encourages people of all ages to explore the pleasures of reading! In over 100 countries around the globe, this day was designated by UNESCO as a worldwide celebration. During World Book Night (the 5th of March) 1 million books will be given away to people from the UK and Ireland! If you wish to find out more about this celebration, visit the official World Book Day site here (http://www.worldbookday.com/index.asp)!

To raise awareness and to come in support of this day, Cooksongold is giving you the chance to WIN Your Top 3 Books of Your Choice*!

IT'S SIMPLE: between the 3rd and 6th of March, recommend us a book which helped you in developing your jewellery making skills or business and tell everyone how it helped you (drop a comment here, on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=18173832679&topic=14282), blog (http://www.cooksongold.com/blog/) or @Cooksongold on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/Cooksongold))! You get a chance to win 3 books from Cooksongold. What's more, you can help many fellow jewellers by doing this and encouraging them to read your favourite one.

So, what is the best book? If reading is your thing too, show it here! :)

http://www.cooksongold.com/images/banners/books-flickr.jpg

Kwant
03-03-2011, 01:06 PM
I am relatively new to making things in silver, just under a year, and was given The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques by Anastasia Young (Thames and Hudson) for Christmas. I found it interesting and well laid out with what seemed to me very clear "how to" sections covering the basics of jewellery making. I had arrived at much of what I read in the book by scouring the internet and reading forums like this but it is a good general reference with plenty of inspiring and informative picture content.

Goldsmith
03-03-2011, 02:23 PM
The first book in my library bought in 1968 was The Art of Carl Faberge by Snowman, since then I have built up a good library of trade based books. I have two books by Oppi Untracht, metal Techniques for Craftsmen and Jewelery concepts and technology.I also have Diamond Setting by Wooding. One book I can recommend is The Work of a Master Goldsmith;A Unique Collection, it is not a teaching book but a record of unique work produced by a living English goldsmith, namely me. Now there's a plug!
James

lilia
03-03-2011, 04:20 PM
James,

Is the "Art Of Carl Faberge" a good book (are there many photos of his creations?)? I always admired his works, and being Russian, always wanted to know more and see more of his pieces.

lilia
03-03-2011, 04:21 PM
I've just Amazoned your book, fantastic. Will definately put that on my BD list

lilia
03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
I would recommend 'Creative Stonesetting' by Cogswell - this is the book I used to learm my basic tube setting and the flush setting and also picked up lots of useful tips. Another one would be,definately, 'The Complete Metalsmith' by Tim McCreight. And if somebody only just strating out, then 'Jewellery, Two in One manuals' by Madeline Coles - lots of projects with clear instructions.

Goldsmith
03-03-2011, 05:19 PM
Lilia, I have ten books on the works of Faberge, the latest printed books have much better photos of his creations than the older one I mentioned before, as printing techniques have improved vastly over the years. Here is a sample of my library collected over many years.
James

Joe B.
04-03-2011, 07:49 AM
Hi all

James that looks like a good collection, I wish I had that many. :rolleyes:
I'm fairly new with jewellery making and joined this forum yesterday, hope to make the most of it. I've been reading "Fundamentals of Metalsmithing", it's by Tim McCreight as well. I find it rather straightforward and a good read for beginners like me - think intermediaries could pick up a few things too. Can anyone recommend some more project books like the one Lilia recommended ('Jewellery, Two in One manuals' by Madeline Coles)? I find it quite intimidating to start anything at the moment...

Thanks
Joe

Dennis
04-03-2011, 02:13 PM
Yes, Joe B. I have mentioned this elsewhere, but searching the forum can be trying. Madeline Coles is good, as is 'Tips And Shortcuts For Jewellery Making' byStephen O'Keefe, which also has a number of beginners' projects. Unfortunately all these authors use up half the book on tools, materials and how to use them, so you are in for a great deal of duplication.
Kind regards, Dennis.

lilia
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
James,

What a collection. Wonderful! Would you recommend any of the Faberge books as specifically jewellery related. Most of the ones I've seen around are object related, particularly his Easter eggs.

Goldsmith
05-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Lilia,
You are correct about the Faberge books not containing much jewellery, I am a goldsmith not a jeweller so it is his objects that are of interest to me,if you ever get to see my book you will see 10 of my Easter eggs among other gold items. May I recommend you look at the book entitled The Jewellery of Rene Lalique and also if you can find one the Jewellery of George Fouquet. The only decent jewellery books that I have are the Hans Nadelhoffer book on Cartier and the Geoffrey Munn book on the jewellery of Castellani and Giuliano.
James

lilia
05-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much for your suggestions, James. I will most certainly have a look at those books.

Tabby66
06-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Well, my first suggestion would most certainly be the same as Kwant's, "The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques by Anastasia Young (Thames and Hudson)". A brilliant book I invested in last year, clear intructions and introduction to a huge variety techniques.

I'm not sure if we're allowed the same suggestions?! So my other suggestion is The Jeweller's Directory of Shape and Form by Elizabeth Olver, a fairly new aquisition which I find instructional and inspiring, has helped bring techniques and ideas together and encouraged me to play and test much more!

Great thread idea!

Tabby

Joe B.
10-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Dennis, thanks for your reply.
I am rather enjoying the forum at the moment, browsing through some of the topics can be very inspiring (but also time consuming - especially for a beginner). Regarding duplications, I will have to agree: unfortunately, I have found quite a few books to be explaining too much the use of tools and materials. I'm now looking into blogs on jewellery making as they at least offer rather unique perspectives.

Kind regards
Joe