PDA

View Full Version : Keum Boo

caroleallen
12-08-2009, 07:52 AM
I know I'm being dense but I can't find any gold sheet on Cooksons that's suitable for Keum Boo, though I believe it's there. Please can anyone who uses this method advise. I'd also love to hear from anyone who does it on Argentium whether it works differently and whether they form it after or before applying the gold. Thanks.

ps_bond
12-08-2009, 08:43 AM
I make my own, sorry. 24k grain cast into a blob, hammered and rolled as thin as the mill would go, then put between 2 sheets of paper and rolled a few more times.

As for the Argentium, it worked well; I'd need to double-check (and find) one of my logbooks, but AFAIR I fused the gold on after depletion gilding, then formed & soldered. The lower rate of heat conduction of the Argentium probably helped me get away with it.

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
I get my gold sheets from silverclay.co.uk (they're thicker and easier to work with). I use my ultralite kiln as it's got Keum Boo plates to burnish the gold on and fuse it to the fine silver..
Nic x

caroleallen
12-08-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks everyone. The gold foil on Cooksons is, I think too thin as it's used for enamelling. I'll try your suggestion Nic.

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes get the Korean gold foil- it has to be the thicker stuff or it will just diffuse into the silver. I use metal clay not argetentium, but would imagine it works well after depletion guilding.
Em

caroleallen
12-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm not sure whether I should depletion guild Argentium. Should I be bringing the Germanium to the surface?

EmmaRose
13-08-2009, 01:12 PM
try a tiny piece first, but I would have thought it brings a pure coat of silver to the surface as with sterling silver...
Em