PDA

View Full Version : magnetic clasps

Green Monster
11-08-2009, 11:53 PM
I would be interested to see magnetic clasps supplied with the magnet unfitted.
That way the clasp can be soldered to a chain without the heat ruining the magnets.
The magnets can be fitted afterwards with glue or drawing a metal bead up.

I have found quite a few of the older generation like these claps as they are easier to handle with arthritic fingers, the weak point though is the unsoldered jump ring link to the chain.

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I couldn't agree more... :agree: I found a tutorial on line which showed how to cover a conventional screw type fastener with pmc - which I thought was a brilliant idea...but it would work much better with a magnetic one! Somehow I don't think the magnet would be too happy cooking in a kiln...so a removable one would be just the job!!:Y:

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Ahh so you'd be wanting some of Hattie Sandersons Maglettes (http://pmcsupply.com/maglettes/) then ;)
Nic xx

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
Trust the Americans!! :rolleyes: OK....COOKSONS.....WE WANT SOME OF THOSE....PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!! :X

mizgeorge
12-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Have you tried them Nic?

I've seen some, but have to admit I wasn't that impressed with the finish. I'd love to see what you could do with them :)

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
I saw them at the PMC conference but was put off because the mould uses that rigid plastic stuff...:(
Nic x

mizgeorge
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
the weak point though is the unsoldered jump ring link to the chain.

Graeme, as a mailler, you know that an unsoldered jump ring needn't be a weak point - provided the AR is small enough and the wire is the right temper.

It's also always worth bearing in mind that a jump ring can provide a nice safe break point in a piece - especially one using chain. Far better to repair a single ring than replace a whole length of snapped chain :)

Have you tried protecting the magnetic element whilst soldering, or we talking very small clasps here?

Green Monster
12-08-2009, 11:24 AM
Graeme, as a mailler, you know that an unsoldered jump ring needn't be a weak point - provided the AR is small enough and the wire is the right temper.

It's also always worth bearing in mind that a jump ring can provide a nice safe break point in a piece - especially one using chain. Far better to repair a single ring than replace a whole length of snapped chain :)

Have you tried protecting the magnetic element whilst soldering, or we talking very small clasps here?

I agree with you break point, but I tend to have it just away from the clasp, I find folk sometimes pull the clasp open by the chain near the clasp ( if you get my meaning) and hence open up the jump ring at that point, so I try to put a break chains a bit further away.

I have tried variuos heat sink pastes and wet sand etc but the magnets used seem to be that neobydiumthingymajig stuff and are very delicate heat wise, a secondary problem with them is pickle destroys their finish and they rust quickly.

cheers
Graeme

mizgeorge
12-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Just a thought, but how about attaching them with either a split ring or small bolt ring instead? That would then avoid the heat problem altogether. I'm not normally a huge fan of split rings, but if they're small and discreet, they can serve a useful purpose. A bolt ring would also give the option to remove the magnetic clasp altogether for someone who can't use one (pacemaker, pregnant etc).

I'll get my coat....

Green Monster
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
Bolt ring might work, also that would give the easy option to remove the clasp if tumble cleaning/polishing were to be undertaken. cheers.
I have used those self locking jump rings in the past but they are a bit costly for the job they do.

AlexandraBuckle
12-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Just a thought, but how about attaching them with either a split ring or small bolt ring instead? That would then avoid the heat problem altogether. I'm not normally a huge fan of split rings, but if they're small and discreet, they can serve a useful purpose. A bolt ring would also give the option to remove the magnetic clasp altogether for someone who can't use one (pacemaker, pregnant etc).

I'll get my coat....

I use quite a lot of split rings as i don't solder at the mo. I prefer them to open jump rings.
Split rings can be very useful :Y:

bruggen
14-01-2010, 09:01 AM
I had the same problem with magnetic catches, and the jump rings can be closed with a laser welder, I don't have one but I can go to a jewellery workshop who do an evening class and do as much as I want to, the point is that it can be done without damaging the magnet.

Kermit
14-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm interested to read the options here as I found magnetic clasps last year and was quite excited for the options for people who say they struggle to fasten bracelets. However...... I have had people say that the magnetic fasteners are failing and the bracelet falls off. I have currently stopped using them as I obviously don't want returns of jewellery and don't want to sell something if I'm not completely happy that is works.

Just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and how you got over it?

fiona davies
10-02-2010, 01:30 PM
yes, had this problem!! AI too would be greatful if anyone overcame this problem.