PDA

View Full Version : Lighting advice

purple4711
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Evening all,
I have been searching the forum for advice on lighting to use when making jewellery.

My lovely other half has decided I need a child/cat free area and is going to make the cupboard under the stairs into a workshop space. There is a 'normal' light fitting already- but we were wondering if an angle poise light, or positionable spotlights would be best.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Lesley :~:

Petal
12-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi Lesley and :welcome: to our friendly forum!

I use an angelpoise lamp with a daylight bulb and its clamped to the side of my desk that I work from. It was from John Lewis, but there are loads of other suppliers out there too. The daylight bulb is crucial if you are working on jewellery, as your colours will be shown as they are in daylight, rather than with a normal lightbulb, which doesn't show things in the right light *-:).

hope that helps :)

Cheers[]
Jules

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi Lesley...from another cupboard dweller!! ....I think they call people who live underground troglodites...I wonder what the official term is for one who lives in a cupboard!!??:confused:

Anyway - I did a course in Interior Design many years ago - and the one thing we learned about lighting is that you can't have too much. You must have a good overall light from above but for doing any kind of work you need task lighting and that really depends on what you are doing. So basically - there are no hard and fast rules - you just need to experiment - and you may find you need different types of lighting for different jobs. Not a lot of help am I?!!:">

Personally - I have a 100watt equivalent in energy efficient bulb as the main ceiling light....this gives good light but throws a lot of shadow on my work when I lean forwad to do anything!! I compensate for this with a small adjustable (in length and tilt) light positioned on a shelf in front of me...I can angle this to suit what ever job I am doing and it throws light onto my work without my big fat head getting in the way! The only disadvantage to this in a confined space is that it can get quite hot working with your head only inches away from a light!! I compensate for that with a fan!! I then have a small, angle adjustable, clip on spot light for any occasion that I need to further eradicate shadows as this then provides a third light source and can be clipped to any protruding object...again this can get very hot...in fact, I take advantage of this and actually use the excess heat to provide a 'drying area' for my precious metal clay work! ...well... space is tight in a cupboard!!

The above is my everyday lighting set up but I also have a small desk light with a flexible stem into which I have put a daylight/craftwork 'blue' bulb for those occasions when I need to have a good idea of what colour I am working with as this gives the closest light to true, full spectrum daylight.

Another point...unless you are used to working in a cupboard...is that it does get terribly claustraphobic....I know it sounds great to be able to shut the door and get away from the kids...but psychologically...unless you are made of tough stuff...expect to have to keep the door open or at the very least ajar when you are working. And if like me - you work with your back to the door - you might find it more comfortable to have a mirror in front of you so that you don't always feel there is a 'lurker' behind you!! =:-O I know I sound crazy...but wait until you try it!!

I love my little cupboard - and I'm sure you will love yours too...just make sure that your OH realises that it is a space that needs to work for you...not just look pretty...so it has to have built in adaptability above all...it will always be a 'work in progress'!! You won't really know what you need until you are actually working in there - and then you need him to graciously supply just what you want!!

One final point...the most important and probably the most surprising for a cupboard...is that you need loads of sockets or an extension with a lot of sockets...believe me!!

Hope some of this might help you!

This link takes you to a photo of my little cupboard....not exactly tidy - but it works for me! ...shows little black light on shelf between storage boxes and clip on spot - drying pmc ...and tower fan on floor! ...and cd/radio/b&w tv combo ...and 'lurker' mirror next to that!! ....and loads and loads of trailing wires!!:-D

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1053#post1053

AlexandraBuckle
12-08-2009, 08:04 AM
Hi Lesley and :welcome: to our friendly forum!

I use an angelpoise lamp with a daylight bulb and its clamped to the side of my desk that I work from. It was from John Lewis, but there are loads of other suppliers out there too.

Cheers[]
Jules

Yep I use anglepoise too with daylight bulb. My lamp came from ikea - it was really cheap (around £5/6) - and it clamps on to my table. *-:)

Oh and welcome Leslie :~:

purple4711
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
Good Morning All,
Thanks for the lovely welcome and the advice- all really helpful and much appreciated. I will show the replies and pics to my man tonight (after the footie....Scotland are playing!)
We currently refer to the cupboard under the stairs as Harry Potters bedroom...that will have to change!
Thanks again- I will let u know how I get on.
Lesley x :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
12-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Classy name eh? ....Mine is nick named 'Hell'...:eek: because the flue pipe from the boiler goes through it...meaning that when the heating goes on for hot water at 4.00...it is time for me to vacate the premises!! It is very welcome in the winter though! My work premises seem to be always at extremes...the shed (Studio) freezes in the winter and the cupboard is hot as Hell!! :rofl:

MuranoSilver
12-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Good Morning All,
We currently refer to the cupboard under the stairs as Harry Potters bedroom...that will have to change!
Thanks again- I will let u know how I get on.
Lesley x :Y:

Thanks for that now I can't get this image out of my head...
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/cooksons-potter.jpg
All cupboard dwellers are now "HP's", poor folks all trapped in your jewellery dens :D
Or maybe we could overlay a David Bellamy style soundtrack..."and here we have the rare nocturnal jewellery maker in their natural habitat" :Y:
Nic xx

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 12:04 PM
oh LOL :rofl: good one Nic!
Yes remember...either use daylight bulbs/ blue filters on your lights or you will have to alter the white balance on your camera (assuming your camera is digital) as tungsten lights give out orange light and your pictures would have a cast.
Em

bustagasket
12-08-2009, 12:11 PM
Waaaaaahhhhhhhhh i feel cheated, i dont have any stair so i dont have a cupboard underneath any to take over :(

EmmaRose
12-08-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a cupboard but my DH took it over first LOL!!! I am thinking of mounting a campaign on the spare room.......
Em

Di Sandland
12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
In the process of taking over number 1 son's bedroom - needs airing first though - euch!