PDA

View Full Version : Hand torch

Dawny
06-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi,
Could anyone give me some advice on Cooksongold's hand torch. It's only £20 which is great but I'm not sure if it will do the trick for me. Not done much firing before. Do I need to get a more expensive one or will this do for now?!?
:confused:

MuranoSilver
06-07-2009, 03:44 PM
What are you planning to use it for?

Dawny
07-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Small delicate sterling silver rings. I also plan on setting stones - not that this makes a difference, semi precious - low value stuff. will it generate the heat. is it safe as its only a small torch, barely get your hand around it.
???

agent_44
07-07-2009, 09:00 AM
Is it for PMC Dawny?

Dano
07-07-2009, 10:48 AM
do you mean this one? (http://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Hand-Torch-Please-Note-Hand-Torch-Is-Supplied-Without-Gas.-prcode-999-955)

1300c is easy enough to solder silver, heck, it's enough to completely melt silver if you get hypnotized by the flame and completely tune out or so i hear (cough)

kaz
09-07-2009, 11:52 AM
I noticed cookson have a 360 imagery thing for the hand torch which looks great!!! Wow, would be awesome to see more. Not sure if there's lots more already - lots of products the check on the site lol.

agent_44
09-07-2009, 12:00 PM
You should be OK for fine stuff. I actually use a small blow torch from B&Q (flame is about double the size that that will produce, maybe a bit more) and a small 'pencil' type toch for delicate work, I used to use a torch like the one in the link but frind that I get on better with the above.

mizgeorge
28-07-2009, 07:21 AM
It'll do the job OK. I've also switched to using two torches, one for annealing and large pieces and a much smaller one for delicate stuff, and occasionally resort to sticking stuff in the flame of my lampworking torch if it's just too big for either!

I now actually prefer using a small handheld torch to using a seivert. Though if someone wants to give me a microflame..... ;)

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 07:38 AM
i have just started to use the cookson one and was soldering some split rings onto chain fine. my biggest problem is refilling it. i just cant do it :( Hopefully hubby has now done it for me, but i wont know til i need it again :-s