PDA

View Full Version : nowhere to put jump rings

Thissar
21-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Hello,

I have a beautiful 9ct gold charm pin stick which I would like to convert into a pendant to wear as a bracelet or necklace. The only problem is that there are no holes or hoops on the small charm to attach any jump rings to. I would prefer not to drill any holes but to attach a small hoop to the charm. Would soldering a jump ring to the charm work? And when soldering, should I use easy, medium or hard solder?

The other thing is that the charm is very delicate and is decorated with seed pearls. Would I need to put something on them to protect them from the pickle solution, flux, solder and heat?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions will be helpful as I am very new to jewellery making and would like to learn as much as I can.

Many thanks.:)

mizgeorge
21-01-2011, 07:25 AM
I've already answered this question on the other forum on which you posted it, but, to repeat, in simple terms, you can't solder a finished piece that includes pearls without first removing them.

As I suggested over there, you either need to find an alternative way of hanging the charm (again, a picture would help), or remove all the pearls and reset them after the work's done.

As for the type of solder needed, it would depend entirely on how the original piece has been fabricated.

Dennis
25-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Dear Thissar,
If I might attempt to re-word your question, you have a stick-pin and want to use the head as a charm for a bracelet, or as a pendant for a necklace. You also want to avoid making a hole for a jump ring. Is that right?

In view of the difficulties pointed out by George, I would suggest twisting the pin wire into a small double ring, rather like a key ring, to suspend it by. This would give a strong hanger without any soldering, but of course it would be upside down. Kind regards, Dennis.