PDA

View Full Version : Bead Setting tutorials?

Steffi
20-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Hi all :~:

I'm quite new to stone setting having done very little so far, and bead setting is something i want to practice.

Sorry if i've overlooked a thread already on this topic, but i was wondering if anyone can recommend any good books which explain this type of setting well, or video tutorials worth investing in? I've had a look on Youtube and such for an idea, but most are hard to follow with not really being able to see what's going on closely enough.
I've found a few written "how to's" online also, but it would be nice to have images with it to see if i'm following them correctly! :D

Thank you! :)

ps_bond
20-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Bead Setting Diamonds With Pave Applications by Robert Wooding is about the best coverage I've seen on the subject; there's also a DVD of the process by him around.

Steffi
20-01-2011, 05:28 PM
Ooh i'll check it out now, thanks for your help again, much appreciated! :D

Steffi

Steffi
21-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Morning all!

Just wondering if anyone has this book in their collection and if it is worth the investment too for future reference? 'The Diamond Setting Manual: Procedures & Techniques' by Robert R. Wooding; i am looking at buying 'Bead Setting Diamonds With Pave Applications' by Robert Wooding as it's a bit more in depth, but just wondered as a general guide is the other one worth a look? I already have 'Creative Stonesetting' by John Cogswell which i've read through and looks very good, not had the chance to try much out yet, so didn't know if this would be worth a look too?

I've found this website which is American (dont know if anyone's come across it before and ordered from them?) and their prices seem better than what i've found for the books elsewhere, though need to email about the p+p:

http://www.rocksandgems.info/books/books_stone_setting.shtml

Thanks, Steffi :)

ps_bond
21-01-2011, 09:07 AM
From memory, the first one is more for claw setting, while the pave one covers the bead setting in detail. Cogswell is very good, but doesn't really cover much beyond bead setting - I don't remember anything being there about bright cutting.

All from memory right now as I don't have them in front of me!

Steffi
21-01-2011, 09:19 AM
From memory, the first one is more for claw setting, while the pave one covers the bead setting in detail. Cogswell is very good, but doesn't really cover much beyond bead setting - I don't remember anything being there about bright cutting.

All from memory right now as I don't have them in front of me!

Hi Peter,

I definitely think i'll be investing in the pave book you have suggested; it does briefly cover it in the cogswell book (raising stitches, basic bead and so on) but definitely after something a little more in depth on this setting, so i think that'll be the winner! :) I think i'll start with this one and take it from there!

Thank-you! :Y:

Daniel
07-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi Steffi,

I have got all the books in your post above.
The wooding ones are great as is the creative stone setting book from cogswell.
This last one is pretty versatile but like Peter said, not as much about bead setting.
I do think that although these books are very good, they only show the traditional way of setting stones.
These days with airgravers and microscopes the techniques have changed a bit. And I havent seen any books about the new aproach of stone setting yet.
There are a few good tutorials on setting stones but only the traditional way so far.But I got the feeling that will change :) .
handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665
And this is not bead setting but chanel setting, could be worth while to see too.
handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7013

I took the www's out of the url, cause I am not alowed yet to post them :'(

There is a dvd on stone setting combining the traditional way and powertools.
Is "Up and close with Sam Alfano" available at the grs site. Its great to see but you would need an airgraver and microscope.

Good luck!

ps_bond
08-02-2011, 05:30 AM
Sorry - the system won't allow the posting of links until you've got 5 posts; it's been an occasional deterrent to spammers...

Here's the links:

http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=1665
http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=7013

And, for some other examples of Daniel's work - http://houwergoudsmederij.gzu-online.com/shop.php

So when *are* you writing the book on setting with an Airgraver? :D

Dennis
08-02-2011, 06:28 AM
Dear Steffi,

Stone setting is a highly skilled profession in its own right and if you could easily pick it up from books and videos, setters woukld have died with the Dodo. In fact they are ever in demand. Nothing will get you started as well as going on a course, but even then, unless you practice regularly you will not reach an acceptable standard. Kind regards, Dennis.

Tabby66
08-02-2011, 06:46 PM
Those links are really interesting Peter, it helps add knowledge to other stuff I'm trying out! A site for my favourites to check out from time to time!
Thanks!

Dennis
09-02-2011, 05:27 AM
I've looked at those step by steps now Peter and if I tried that it would end up a dogs dinner. Hence my grumpy reply above. Dennis.

ps_bond
09-02-2011, 08:50 AM
I know the feeling Dennis! My bead raising & forming is not too bad, but I'm still not satisfied with my bright cutting (although I think I may have rounded the heel of the flat graver excessively, which won't help).

Daniel
09-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Hi Peter and Dennis,
If you want to cut a bright cut filé, dont put a heel or radius on your flat, and taper the flat from the cutting edge upwards on both sides.
this leaves you with a, well like two sided knife graver. /__\ something like that. That way, you can bright cut your filé without damaging your beads.
You could also use an onglette graver or a knife graver, but I get the best results with a flat that is highly polished.

Steffi
18-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for all your replies and for the useful links, and i think a course to get me started on the basics at least is definitely something i'll be looking in to very soon.

Thanks again!

ps_bond
19-02-2011, 08:12 AM
I found this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bORAvMd9BnI)video on Youtube the other day which shows the bead raising & bright cutting process clearly (although it's quicker with powered kit than traditional!).

Daniel
19-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Ha, Peter,
Thats the in between way of traditional and modern day powertool Microscope settings seen on "up and close with Sam Alfano".
If you would cut the filé around the setting before placing the stone it would be what microscope setters would be doing.
You would be left with the three beads to be pieces of metal, in the completed dug out setting before placing the stone and finally pushing the beads onto the stone.
Thanks for the video!

Steffi
21-02-2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Peter, thanks for the video link!
Like the powertool he's using, looks fun! :D Do you think there is much difference doing it without a powertool other than time?

ps_bond
22-02-2011, 08:33 AM
That's one of the GRS series - not sure if it is a Gravermax, Gravermach or what! I use an Airgraver rather than the GRS tools; they all have the disadvantage of fairly high cost (and additional equipment requirements - like a compressor), but the flipside is that they are both faster and easier to use - you don't have to develop the muscle memory required for push engraving, you just have to guide the tool. This means that, for example, when making the bead isolation cuts, it is easier to avoid powering through the edge of the bearing and into the opposite bearing wall. Equally, as with any power tool, it makes it easier to go wrong more quickly...

It is a complementary skill though; my push engraving improved a lot with using the Airgraver, and I wouldn't be without my traditional gravers - I was setting a square tanzanite in a thickish bezel at the weekend and used onglette & flat gravers to clean both the inside of the bezel wall & bright cut the resulting setting. Still not happy with the polish of the bright cut, but I'm a bit inclined to use magnification to check the work.

Daniel uses an Airgraver for setting work - not sure if he uses it exclusively?