PDA

View Full Version : Where to find giant square stones?!

Steffi
19-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Hi Everyone! :~:

I'm new here so this is my first post, and i'm hoping i may be able to pick your brains on this one!

I'm currently trying to search for some square cut gemstones or cz's for a project in size 19x19mm which is proving to be much harder than i originally thought!
I've found some on ebay that are 18 and 20mm square, but they don't do 19mm; is there anywhere in particular that anyone would recommend i could try??

Thank you! X

ps_bond
19-01-2011, 12:51 PM
If 20mm is OK, there's this lot as an example - http://www.diamondcz.co.uk/gem.php5?level=3&expand=White&first=Princess&second=White

I don't *think* I've bought from them, but I have had them recommended.

Steffi
19-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your help, i've not come across this supplier before; unfortunately 20mm is a fraction too big and 18mm too small! (should probably just consider changing my design! haha) But i've sent them an email just in case!

Thanks again! :Y:

Kwant
19-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I have bought from Chris at diamondcz, excellent service and nice stones. He is also open to suggestions for new cuts, I asked for square cut emerald green stones and he now supplies them. Good luck with your search.

Steffi
19-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I have bought from Chris at diamondcz, excellent service and nice stones. He is also open to suggestions for new cuts, I asked for square cut emerald green stones and he now supplies them. Good luck with your search.

Hi,

Thank you both for the suggestion - Chris has replied to me today saying he will add the size to his list which usually takes 2-4 months, so fingers crossed! :D

Thanks again! :Y:

Dennis
19-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Dear Steffi,Two observations from me:

Natural stones always vary in size, so say a nominal 20mm packet will contain a range of stones below and above this. It means that you have to verify the measurements yourself. Man made stones are more reliable but the size you have set your heart on might just not be made.

The moral is to buy the stones first, then start designing or, if you have access to a photocopier with a zoom function, then why not copy your design at around 95% or 105% to match the stones available.

Kind regards, Dennis.

Steffi
19-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Dear Steffi,Two observations from me:

Natural stones always vary in size, so say a nominal 20mm packet will contain a range of stones below and above this. It means that you have to verify the measurements yourself. Man made stones are more reliable but the size you have set your heart on might just not be made.

The moral is to buy the stones first, then start designing or, if you have access to a photocopier with a zoom function, then why not copy your design at around 95% or 105% to match the stones available.

Kind regards, Dennis.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your reply; i completely see what you're saying about having the stones in hand to start with, and then designing from there - will definitely be doing this from now on! haha :D Thank you for the tip on photocopying future designs too, i can see this coming in handy :Y:

Thanks everyone! :D

Tabby66
19-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Natural stones always vary in size, so say a nominal 20mm packet will contain a range of stones below and above this.
Kind regards, Dennis.

I found this out the hard way - having worked with one stone to ensure the fit of the setting, I popped it back into the bag in with the others I had until I was ready for the final setting................

Dennis
20-01-2011, 09:58 AM
I put adhesive dots on stones now and for earrings even mark them R+ L. For square and rectangular stones, which can be a fraction wider on one side the dot goes at one end and the setting is marked inside with a cross.

Professionals don't have to be as picky and gem stone dealers think I'm barmy, but stone setting for me is hard enough without building in more problems.

My most treasured tool for all this, my six inch electronic callipers, tells me at a glance when there is a problem. Discount shops such as Aldi, Lidl and Maplin sometimes have these for only £10. Some people have problems using them because you have to make sure they are returned to zero after use, just like kitchen scales. Dennis.

Tabby66
20-01-2011, 08:29 PM
I put adhesive dots on stones now and for earrings even mark them R+ L. For square and rectangular stones, which can be a fraction wider on one side the dot goes at one end and the setting is marked inside with a cross.

I can definately see the advantages of this Dennis. I shall give it a go! Thank you.