PDA

View Full Version : Oxidising silver using hard boiled eggs

Neve
13-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Hi everyone,

I have just oxidised a few pieces of handstamped jewellery using eggs, love not using chemicals! It has worked, albeit a little unevenly, but how do I remove the blackness from the piece, leaving behind the blackness in the stamped letters?

ps_bond
13-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Abrasion of the high points. Depends upon what surface finish you want as to what you use, be it Scotchbrite, finer wet & dry (or Micromesh!) or a polishing wheel.

Neve
13-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Hi Peter,

I used silver polish with a soft cloth and it took all the black off including the recessed letters. This particular piece has been hammered and stamped and the finish I would like is gorgeous and shiny with letters that pop out at you because they are black.

mizgeorge
13-01-2011, 12:08 PM
I usually use 0000 grade wire wool, followed by micromesh or a silicone wheel. A polishing cloth gets into the recesses too much.

btw, if the finish was uneven, it may be because it wasn't completely clean before you started - or handled it after cleaning, the oils from your fingers are more than enough to mar the finish.

Dennis
13-01-2011, 08:01 PM
I'm sorry Neve, but if you want a result then give up on eggs, because the patination is very thin and easily removed. Small quantities of Platinol diluted with an equal part of tap water and brushed on with a synthetic artist's brush will give a strong black colour which remains when the highlights are rubbed up, even with a silver cloth.

To be hyper economical you could even just paint in the recesses, rinse and dry and then remove the minimal surplus.

There will be hardly any waste and hardly any smell. Kind regards, Dennis.

mizgeorge
13-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Apologies from me too Neve - I just reread your original post and there is a much easier way! If you just want to highlight (should that be lowlight?) the letters, just run a fine tipped sharpie marker into them and then rub back any that strays outside the edges with a polishing cloth. Because they're protected from wear and tear, the marker lasts more than long enough for the piece to gather dirt and blacken naturally!

Dennis
14-01-2011, 08:14 PM
Hah George, I'd forgotten about your ace method. I've got some Steadtler pemanent Lumicolor pens With very fine fibre tips that look just right for getting into lettering. kind regards, Dennis.

Neve
19-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Thank you very, very much! I am going to go and get my sharpies out! Will also look into the platinol too. Will let you know how I go x

Inanegal
29-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Dennis, I notice you say to use a synthetic brush. I seem to remember hearing that brushes made of animal hair will disintegrate when used with Platinol. Is that right?

Best wishes,
Nina

mizgeorge
29-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Yes they do!
I buy packs of children's brushes from poundland for just this.

Inanegal
29-01-2011, 06:11 PM
Excellent tip - thank you, George!

Nina

lilia
29-01-2011, 07:04 PM
I use polishing pads from Cookson's. The item number is 998 027B . They polish out only the top surface, leaving the recesses black. I love these, more elbow grease, but results are great.

Dennis
29-01-2011, 09:05 PM
Dennis, I notice you say to use a synthetic brush. I seem to remember hearing that brushes made of animal hair will disintegrate when used with Platinol. Is that right?Best wishes,Nina

Yes Nina, it disintegrates hair and skin, so it's a good idea to wear throw away gloves too. Kind regards, Dennis.

CJ57
01-04-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Guys
Can I use the cookson oxidising liquid in the same way on silver and just do small areas with a brush. Haven't oxidised anything since college ??? years ago and thought it would be nice for a change but all the instructions say dip the whole piece and then clean off what you don't want, but i only want to do accents
Caroline

Dennis
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes but use a synthetic brush, or the hair will break up. It's a matter of experiment, but the more subtle effect is achieved with the solution applied diluted with water. It will darken more slowly and can be arrested under the cold tap when you are satisfied with it.

Any unwanted surplus can be removed with a retractable glass brush, softened by rubbing it on paper first, or with a silver polishing cloth. Darkened high placeas wear away quickly in use but if you look above, George has also suggested a sharpie for narrow valleys and initials.